Remington Bolt

C.O. Shooter

How do you disassemble a Remington LA Bolt?

When I cant my bolt over/down it sounds like something is inside the bolt creeking/cracking. Maybe it needs cleaned? lightbulb

Last edited:
The creeking and cracking your hearing is Remingtons wonderful spring dragging on the inside of the bolt body. Years ago Remington tried to lighten their firing pins to reduce lock time, so they reduced the diameter of the pin under the spring. The problem is they didn't reduce the I.D diameter of the spring. When the spring is put in compression it kinks. What you get is a spring that drags and now has a slower lock time than before. You can replace the firing pin and spring with a aftermarket one with a proper fit or for a couple bucks more replace the entire fire control.

To take the fire control out you can clamp the cocking piece in a vise like Larry did or you can get the proper tool and remove it safely. Here's the tool you need to remove a fire control. Once you remove the fire control you'll see what I mean about the spring being kinked.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7650/product/REMINGTON_BOLT_DISASSEMBLY_TOOL

Last edited:
Ok so better question would be is this thing on its way out? Will this make it through one more season? Next year looking at making a few upgrades and this would be one of them! If I am lucky, I might shoot ten rounds this season. 6 month old + Work = Not a whole lot of time for shooting anymore!

the time difference when the fireing pin strikes the primer.it needs to fall the same each time.a little drag and it changes the time of fall.seems to be rally out their but its real.changed one once and made a 1 inch grouping load go to a .308 5 shoot group at 100.mad me think.

Well I got the bolt apart and gave it a good scrubbing and re-oiling! I put it all back together and it functions just fine. The creeking/cracking isn't as bad and not as noticeable.

As mentioned in my previous post, my shooting this year will be minimal! I have a hunting trip planned in wyoming this October then the PA deer season. So I can not foresee myself shooting more than 10-15 rounds combined this year. That is even if i got a shot at any game. LOL!

I could see if I was shooting for a group or developing a load, however, that I all ready have. I plan on making a few other upgrades after deer season to include a new firing pin assembly, jewel trigger, and a 20 MOA scope base!

Thanks for the help!

You can eliminate any noise if you'll take the bolt apart again and polish the inside of the bolt body with successively finer grits of emory cloth.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.