remington adl is that a good start

Your spouting off and calling it FACT is getting old. those were NOT cosmetic only. do you have any idea what makes a rifle accurate? a stiff laminated stock that has been bedded very well can make a WORLD of difference, and a tuned crisp trigger pull? It is very apparent by your posts and questions that you have asked in the past that you really do not have a lot of experience. And discrediting Trebark and dean is totally uncalled for. Why would dean lie about that? You wont like this but I have a factory tikka 25-06 that shoots a 1/2 INCH not moa at 400 yardsI have done it more than once... gonna call me a liar too? I dont know you or where you are from but You really should tone down the attitude. we all get along here for the most part but all you seem to want to do is argue and give your incorrect theories as FACT and think we are gonna buy into it. You are only making your self look like a jerk with no credibility.

Thanks for backing me up Mike. You're right, we all pretty much manage to get along here. When we disagree, we generally find respectful ways of laying that out. Clearly Sully has not figured that out nor do I think he will. Also, I think that if it's clear to both you and I that he's a jerk with low credibility, then everyone else can see it too.

Apologies to the OP that his thread has had to deal with this minor distraction.

Thanks for backing me up Mike. You're right, we all pretty much manage to get along here. When we disagree, we generally find respectful ways of laying that out. Clearly Sully has not figured that out nor do I think he will. Also, I think that if it's clear to both you and I that he's a jerk with low credibility, then everyone else can see it too.

Apologies to the OP that his thread has had to deal with this minor distraction.
no problem and well putgun)

I certainly dont need a 338 to kill an antelope "John Wayne". Although Ive never had the opportunity to hunt and kill one...my friends that have AND respected gunners from the internet tell me that a good running 243 can do the job on them.!!!!gun)

I certainly dont need a 338 to kill an antelope "John Wayne". Although Ive never had the opportunity to hunt and kill one...my friends that have AND respected gunners from the internet tell me that a good running 243 can do the job on them.!!!!gun)
I am assuming you are referencing my signature picture? I guess your friends are more awesome than me because 338 is my MINIMUM for killing antelope. ...you should see my rabbit gun.

Boss Hoss, i dont think he cares, he is just going to keep spouting off.

BossHoss:

Ok back to Sully2—to say that the squaring of the action and lapping the lugs to ensure even contact are not going to be large contributing factor to accuracy is just plain asinine, because when you get to that level there are so many other contributing factors that will weigh in on the accuracy potential of the rifle it would take me the better part of the day to list them all. For example----do your firing pin shrouds touch the firing pin on your Stiller (many of mine did)???? Better check that because any drag will have an effect period. Do you even know what I am talking about or why it would be detrimental to accuracy?

I never stated THAT. What I said was that by MERELY doing that..doesnt make it a full accurized action. Better than "stock from the box", but definately not fully accurized

And yes my Stiller had been gone thru by the smith I purchased it from and had my Brux barrel installed and chambered.

You guys can ridicule me all you wish but dont be stating that your "box stock" rifle shoots 1/2 minute groups at 500 yards..and then later come back after I have said it was BALONEY and explain that its ONLY the action...everything else on the rifle is aftermarket and honed to perfection.. BIG DIFFERENCE..at least where I come from. OMISSION can be the largest part of a "fabrication" for sure.

Good Lord this is just TOO funny!!! I fixed your post!!

"Although Ive never had the opportunity to hunt and kill one, gunners from the internet tell me that a good running 243 can do the job on them!!!!!"

You didnt fix anything...you just copied it and edited it to say what you wanted it to say.

Although Ive never had the opportunity to hunt and kill one...my friends that have, AND respected gunners from the internet, tell me that a good running 243 can do the job on them.!!!!

Punctuation always helps but reading comprehension works better

I shot my first five Pronghorn with a .243. The next two with a 25-06. The next three were killed with 700BDL 7mm mags. The last one killed with a model 70 7mm mag.

The .243 was a completely stock Remington 742 Semi Auto topped with a K-6 Weaver. The 25-06 was a completely stock Ruger #1 topped with a leupold 3.5-10x50.

The BDL had the same Leupold on it and had been floated and glass bedded.

The model 70 had the same Leupold and was completely stock.

All were shot in NM either around Capulin Mountain or Claunch.

No you certainly don't need a cannon to kill them.

The average Pronghorn kill is under 100yds.

I still like the 338 for antelope. And Sully dont be stealing my "reading comprehension" bit!

FACT: 338 Lapua is minimum legal cartridge for antelope in New Jersey.

Cabelas is having a sale and they have modepl 700 adl's for 400 with a cheap scope. I was wondering if the gun was a good foundation for a long range shooter out to 1000 yds. I would be getting it chambered in 300 win mag and hand loading. I'm just getting started so any input would be great thanks.
Matt

In short yes. This is a good starting point with a raw action in hand for little $$. Sell off the other parts and you should end up with a $250-300 investment and a good platform for a build.

With a little leg work you can end up with a nice modestly priced build that will fit the 1000 yard bill.

IMO,

Jon

Thanks everyone for the input. Since its going to be a long running project ill get the remmington and start there wither the action.
Thanks again Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.