Remington 721 STW Build

284nut

Looking to build an 7STW for one of my boys, I have an old Remington 721, however need a magnum bolt face. Here are my questions

1. Is the 721 stout enough for the build?

2. Will a 700 bolt work in the 721 or are modifications required?

3. Are there aftermarket 721 bots available and can you switch from a .473 face to a .532 face and use the same action?

I believe there is a lot of wisdom and craftiness on this forum, just looking for a little input.

Thoughts????lightbulb

Looking to build an 7STW for one of my boys, I have an old Remington 721, however need a magnum bolt face. Here are my questions

1. Is the 721 stout enough for the build?

2. Will a 700 bolt work in the 721 or are modifications required?

3. Are there aftermarket 721 bots available and can you switch from a .473 face to a .532 face and use the same action?

I believe there is a lot of wisdom and craftiness on this forum, just looking for a little input.

Thoughts????lightbulb
As far as 1 & 2 go.....I got nothing....

But part of 3, I can help you out with... As for the first part, I have no idea if they make aftermarket bolts for the 721, you might could call PT&G (Pacific Tool & Gauge) and send them yours, and they could probably fix you up with something. As for the 2nd part of your question....Yes, you can use standard and magnum bolt faced bolts in the same action.

I was looking at re-chambering my 721 in 270 to a .532 bolt face (was going to make into a 338 Sin). After I did my research on a new bolt, or opening up my bolt face, I decided I could find another donor rifle as cheap and for less trouble. I didn't have to go as far as putting in a Wyatt mag box either.

Your 721 would be stout enough but by the time you did everything else, I think an old shot out 300 or 7 mag would be less expensive and trouble.

If you want to build a 7mm STW, here is the cheapest route, honestly. It might not be as accurate down range as if he turned a fresh stainless match-grade heavy-barrel blank for it, but on a budget, it will be a really nice shooter...You will have to buy an aftermarket stock, but hear me out...

Go to Academy Sport & Outdoors. Pickup a new Rem 700 ADL 7mm RemMag $379.99 special. Go to Stockey's website and order a stock of your choice (my recommendation is a B&C Medalist, which is a great stock with a full AL bed-block for under $300). Buy a Brownells ADL-to-BDL conversion kit for $150. Buy an EGW HD 0 or 20 MOA base $69.99. TPS TSR aluminum rings (1" or 30mm depending on your scope) $77.99. And don't forget your scope of choice. Final step, take it all to your smith.

Let your smith completely true the action, bed the action, rechamber the barrel to 7mm STW, and true the barrel threads and contact face where the barrel meets the recoil lug. Pre-fit everything, & float the barrel. Then have him final install everything, install rail & rings...Lap if needed. Then you're done once you install your scope and get it sighted in.

Cheap and easy.

You could have a custom 7mm STW for $1,200 minus the optics, and once you got a load developed I bet that thing would be shooting 1 hole groups @ 100, if your smith did his part.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.