Remington 700SPS - 300WSM Feeding issue

270yotekiller

I just bought a remington 700sps in 300wsm and when i load all 3 catridges into the magazine it fails to fully chamber the first round (gets stuck on shoulder) how can i fix this? It fails about 90% of the time but when i only load 2 into the magazine it fails about 60% of the time but it shouldnt fail at all right?

any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. would nickel cases offer any advantage with this issue?
Below is a photo of my new hunting rifle after 12 years of shooting a 270 winchester.
PA210137.jpg

I have no problem with my Model 7 RSAUM as long as you only put two in there. You can cram three, but the bolt will scar the top round. I have no feeding problems with only two in the well. I have shot two pigs at a time (two shots) from under feeders without any problems feeding. Maybe the slightly sharper shoulders on the WSM case is slightly too much for an unmodified RP action?

i've got the same 700SPS only in 300RUM, and i haven't had any problems with case feeding so i would say there is something not entirely right about you rifle - it shouldn't fail at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I know of 1 guy that has the 270 WSM in a rem 700 and he said it had the same feeding problems, not to mention accuracy problems. Somethign probly wasn't right with either of your rifles..

i have a .223 ADL and when i first had it it was having feedin problems like what ur describing, but it doesnt do it anymore after i changed ammo (blackhills was the one messin with me). it could be that you just have to break it in and let the feedramp polish itself up. also, mine wouldnt fully chamber the blackhills ammo well but others it does fine with. if you ask me, its a matter of the ammo so perhaps try a different manufacturer. just an idea and how i got mine to work right.

I bought the same gun, only in 270 WSM and had about the identical thing. It pushed the round up and to the side and wouldn't put it in the chamber. Not quite as bad with just two or one in the magazine. I will say it shot less than .5 at 200 yards though. I never could get it to feed right. I thought perhaps the magazine spring had too much tension? When I tried to work the bolt quickly it always jammed. I replaced it with a Browning Shorttrac in the same caliber and now no worries. It shoots lights out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I found an authorized remington repair center in my city so i am going to take it there and see if they can fix the problem for me, i sure dont want to get rid of this rifle but if the gunsmith suggests a major problem then i will look into other alternatives in the same caliber.

*tip - ask to test the feeding of any WSM/SAUM in the gun store BEFORE making your decision. I assumed it would feed reliably and boy was i wrong! $500.00 later im now regretting not taking the time to test the firearm mechanics before payment. some say they have no problems but others say they have the same problem with WSM calibers, i dont believe its centered around any one rifle model but one particular rifle but i may be wrong again!

I have a Wyatt's box mag in a 7 WSM and have the same problem described here. With 3 in the mag the 1st round won't chamber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Will a Winchester Mod 70 that comes from the factory in a WSM chambering feed OK? And, is the 70 mag length long enough to feed WSM's with longer OAL's.

260shooter ,

Hope i don't sound like a simpleton ,but -you bought and installed the wyatt outdoors box and the gun still won't feed correctly?

Update** I plan on accurizing this rifle so i decided to make the magazine feed rails and ramp mods myself with complete satisfaction. I didn't need the wyatts outdoors box after all.

--Light sanding with **** grit sandpaper to sharp edge of feed ramp (with much difficulty)
--Light sanding with **** grit sandpaper to sharp edge of feed rails to remove the sharp edges off & polish to slight shine.

I just got done smoothing out the feed rails and ramp on an sps stainless Short action also. It was feeding, but really tearing up the brass.
I think the sand blasting they did roughened up the surfaces enough to cause problems.

All is well now, nothing a little emery cloth won't fix.
Can't wait to move up into the custom actions that don't have these problems!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.