Remington 700P Muzzle Break Removal??

Nimrodmar10

Anybody know what it takes to remove the factory break from a Remington 700P? I'd also like to know what thread size is used on the 338 Lapua Mag. break. I'd like to put a Muscle Break on this rifle. Any help would be appreciated.

I wrote the book on removing the brake on this rifle. You will need an accurate infrared temp gun. Using map gas, heat the brake right at the base of it to 450 degrees quickly. Propane takes a little too long and puts too much heat into the barrel. Acetylene is way to hot and too hard to regulate. Do not use it. Slip a couple close fitting phillips screw drivers through the holes and spin it off. Even with the heat it may have 30 to 75 foot pounds of torque holding it on. The 450 degree heat melts the permanent loctite used at the factory.

Thanks Hired Gun.
That's what I was afraid of, the heating part I mean. Scares me to take a torch to gun metal, especially something like the Lapua. I shot the gun for the first time yesterday and the recoil with the factory brake was pretty mild. In the range of a 308 or less. I can handle that no problem. I just wanted to get rid of the bottom ports, as much as anything, for shooting off the bipod. If I can't live with it, I'll take it to a smith.
Thanks again.
Nimrodmar10

your gonna need to heat the muzzle brake to about 450 degrees and either use a pipe wrench or a screw driver through the brake holes to take it off, they used locktite on the threads of the muzzle and it wont loosen up till about that temp. the brake thread pitch is 5/8x24
i love my .338 but its expensivegun to feed
gun)

Thanks Hired Gun.
That's what I was afraid of, the heating part I mean. Scares me to take a torch to gun metal, especially something like the Lapua. I shot the gun for the first time yesterday and the recoil with the factory brake was pretty mild. In the range of a 308 or less. I can handle that no problem. I just wanted to get rid of the bottom ports, as much as anything, for shooting off the bipod. If I can't live with it, I'll take it to a smith.
Thanks again.
Nimrodmar10

Are the bottom ports round? I think I read somewhere that the round holes can be threaded to allow plugs to be screwed into it. Would have to be very short plugs to ensure they don't extend into the path of the bullet. I guess a serious thread lock (Loctite), would be needed to prevent movement or if the threaded insert has some type of shoulder to prevent going in too far. The plugs in the bottom would prevent blast from kicking up dirt when shooting prone.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts