Remington 700 Target/Tactical .308

varminthunter

Just wondering if anyone out there has any information on the Remington 700 TT 308? I have found one or two threads on this rifle at our sites with mixed reviews. I am more interested in performance information than the debate over round or triangular barrel.

This is a heavy rifle, I know. It has the 5R rifling with a 26" barrel. I love the Bell and Carson stock, looks down right BAD!! But for the money, approx $1,500, does it perform to it's price tag.

Any information would be helpful.

I ran across you post late - since your initial inquiry was back in January and I only recently registered for this forum. Are you still looking for information regarding the 700TT? If so, please reply and I will share my experience/efforts to date.

After lots of trials and errors, I have determined that this barrel is prone to copper fouling and must be cleaned about every 50 or so shoots with a copper fouling cleaning solution. I have fired approximate 400 rounds through it at this time and it us getting much better about be able to go up to 100 rounds with just a small amount of fouling. I hope that by the time I get another 100 rounds or so down the barrel, the problem will solve itself.

Always interested in anyone experiences with this weapon.

I would assume you have fed a variety or different ammo, or perhaps you are even hand loading you own rounds. I have not had issues with fouling to the extent you detailed....but I have only used Federal GMM 168 bthp to date since I was able to hook up on a great price some time back after I bought the rifle. I'm thinking it could be a matter of finding the right combination of ammo and break in time. Sounds like you are seeing reductions in fouling with usage. I'm sure you are very aware of that as well. I was very prudent about initial barrel break-in and used Sweets 7.62 to swab every round for the first 15, then every third for another 15, and after every fifth for 25. Fouling has been minimal as far as my experience to date. I will eventually hand load my ammo and try to tailor rounds that further optimize accuracy and minimize fouling. I have not experienced an accuracy issues as my stick will shoot sub 1/2 MOA groups consistently. I am curious as to what ammo you have shot to date and how your groups have varied. I have read numerous articles about the TT being partial to certain types of ammo. I'm still on a learning curve as well with that aspect. thanks for your reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.