Remington 700 SPS Varmit 243

czerwinski366

Looking for a little advise maybe. Im just starting out on coyote hunting on a limited budget. Im thinking about buying a new Remington SPS varmit in 243 with a Nikon 5x20. I used to have a Remington VLS in 243 and it was a tack driver with IMR-4350 powder. That gun is a little pricey now. Any thoughts on the SPS?gun)

I say go for it... out of the box, it can be a coyote killing machine. You (probably) won't be getting the same accuracy as your old VLS, but that SPS can be an excellent hunting rifle, and as you want more accuracy from it, this is a very easy platform to start with.

A good stock is probably one of the main reasons your VLS was "a tack driver" The cheap plastic stock that the SPS comes with is it's main drawback, buts an owner of 2 Remington 700s with sporter barrels, there are probably more aftermarket stocks available for the SPS Varmint than most other guns. Ditch the stock for an aftermarket one, have the action gone through and the trigger tuned and you'll see the accuracy improve. The .243 is perfect (for me) for coyotes as well.

As far as scopes. You won't NEED that much scope for coyotes on that rifle, but it may help later on as you start doing other things with it. All in all that is a great place to start (providing you don't overpay) - but keep in mind there are some pretty good choices for you in that price range from other brands like Savage, Browning, Howa, Weatherby Vanguard etc

This is the last group I shot at 500 yards with my 243 sps with 75 vmax 2.75"
275aa6b7.jpg

For both yourself and Midwesthunter (who's already shown how well this gun can perform stock) here is a review done on sniper central of a stock SPS Varmint. And they also swapped our the factory stock and picked up 30% increase in accuracy with no other work. This is a solid platform.

remington 700 SPS Varmint

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.