Remington 700 sendero. 300 win

Sorry guys. Not expecting half moa with factory ammo. I reload. I just think its odd that remington is satisfied with 1.66" 3 shot group. Not even 5 shots. Guarantee 5 shots will be over 2". It's sad when there's guns for half the price with a moa guarantee. I expect factory ammo to shoot much closer to an inch not two.

Sorry guys. Not expecting half moa with factory ammo. I reload. I just think its odd that remington is satisfied with 1.66" 3 shot group. Not even 5 shots. Guarantee 5 shots will be over 2". It's sad when there's guns for half the price with a moa guarantee. I expect factory ammo to shoot much closer to an inch not two.
No a three shot group doesn't guarantee anything about a five shot group.

If you play around with different factory ammo you'll likely get very different results.

Overall I've had real good luck with Hornady Factory Ammo for several decades but even within one company there are different lines, weights of bullets, different charge levels etc so you'll get different results.

Even the best rifles made will shoot great with one load and poorly with several or many others.

If you approach this with unrealistic expectations you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I agree with the statement of Remington barrels, also the ES statement at distance with factory ammo. However the majority of your grouping errors are the person not the barrel or the fact you have factory ammo.

So I just got my new sendero back from remington that I was having accuaracy issues along with marring on the brass. They did a few things and said the final was a accuracy test and it produced a 1.66" 3 shot group with 180 gr ammo. I'm definitely not pleased with that and hope to work a load that shoots at least .6 moa. What's your guys thoughts opinions. I've got a timney that will be going in it this weekend and plan on bedding the stock. I will be shooting 200gr. And heavier. If can't get it to shoot it will be sold. Give me opinions and thoughts.

Handload your own ammo and you can tailor your loads for that specific rifle. 9/10 times you get a major accuracy and performance increase by hand loading for your rifle.

Also, when hand loading, quality components makes a big difference in consistency. Like using the highest-quality brass, I prefer Lapua and Nosler. High quality bullets, I prefer Bergers. Powder charges that are as near zero'd as possible. Consistent runout.

Anything and everything can cause accuracy issues. Some guns just do not like certain ammo. Some also do not like certain powders and bullets, or specific combinations of powders and bullets. And some rifles like everything you feed them. But some are just plain picky.

So I made it out today. Wanted to post pics but can't figure out how. O installed a timney and bedded the recoil lug (not the whole action). Got some berger 210 vld's and some retumbo. Made up 4 bullets of 74gr. 4 bullets of 74.5 and 4 of 75gr. Of powder. New hornady brass and winchester magnum primers.
.018" off lands

74 gr. Group size was 1.325"
74.5 group size was 1.292". (3 shots went .7 roughly)
75 gr was 1.146" (3 shots went .6 roughly)

Kinda have mixed feelings as anyone would hope for better. I know I need to keep going up in my charge weight. Probably 7 or 8 grains from max. Shot from prone over a bag. Shots felt pretty good but id say there was definitely a small amount of error on my part. I have some h1000 I'll try but not much so only probably a couple charge weights. I'm really hoping to get 5 shots into a inch or better. What do you guys think?

Retumbo never shot worth a crap for me in ANY of my rifles... H1000 gave me temp instabilities. The best all-around powder I found was IMR 7828 SSC. Another good one to try is IMR's newest Enduron (temp stable) powder 7977. It's VERY close to H1000 on the burn chart.

Joe F,
If this is a new rifle? don't forget to shoot, clean, shoot, clean. I had a Sendero in .300WM years ago (1st gen w/solid blued barrel) that took quiet a few shots to break in the barrel, probably close to 150 rds. I did a lot of cleaning in between shots, almost to the point of exasperation. IIRC it came around, somewhat, accuracy got down to about .5" with bullets/powder it liked. I wanted to shoot 180gn + and it really loved the 165gn range. I keep it a little while and traded it off for another Remington, a 700 VS (older version) in .243 Win which was delightfully accurate.

I have long since left the factory Remington's. Tooo much worrying with for me. Shooting a Savage 112 BVSS now in .300Wm that recently shot a 5" groups at 1200yds with 212gn ELD-X's.

(I do have a Remington 700 based Kirby Allen rig in .270 Allen Mag that is unbelievable! 14.5 MOA at 1000yds with 169.5 Wildcats at 3450fps.)

Good luck with your Sendero. Hope it comes around. Keep us up to speed. johnnyK.

Yes it's a new rifle. Has probably 60rds through her. I did a barrel brake in with the fist 20rds. I've cleaned it once since then which was before I took it out since this last time. I'm going to keep going up in the charge weight and see if the groups get any smaller. There seated fairly long so maybe more powder is the solution. We will see

Remmy is just happy when the safety doesnt fail and kill anyone or the gun will actually stay on the backstop.:)
Sorry Mud I had to do it.

Had them tell me 2 1/2" groups @ 100 were acceptable.:rolleyes:

Here's the pics of the last time out.

Attachments

• 2017-07-05 15.34.15.jpg
    2017-07-05 15.34.15.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 84
Remmy is just happy when the safety doesnt fail and kill anyone or the gun will actually stay on the backstop.:)
Sorry Mud I had to do it.

haha, you're not wrong. I love all my remington 700 actions, but I admit most of their factory barrels, and from my experience, their customer service, is not the best. It's really to bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.