Remington 700 Restock

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by TxHillCountry, Mar 31, 2013.

1. TxHillCountry

TxHillCountry Member

Looking to replace the factory plastic stock on my Remington 700 ADL. Thinking strongly about a laminated stock from Boyd's and then glass/pillar bedding the action, any experience with the durability of these stocks? I know they are not as strong as a fiberglass stock, but are they better than a conventional wood stock as far as expansion/contraction with differing moisture/temperatures?

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

They don't cut well at all with chisel or gouge. I think they must "soak" that wood they laminate in the glue they use. As I don't use a stock for a lever or battering ram I find wood pleanty strong. Boyds isn't my favorite, but, it'd be 'head & shoulders' above one of Rems' plastic, tupperware stocks.

3. TxHillCountry

TxHillCountry Member

Can you please recommend a different brand you have found to be better than boyd's?

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I would look at Stockysstocks and he has quite a few different brands and styles.

I personally like the laminates for durability and the feel of wood. They are very strong and ridged
    because when they are assembled, the resin is applied under pressure making good laminates
    almost solid resin that has wood in it. (Custom knife handles are stabilized with resin and last
    under the worst conditions). A few of my custom knifes are 25 to 30 years old and have been
    bloodied,wet, and generally misused but are still in perfect shape except for a few scrapes and
    scratches.

They also dampen harmonics and heat and humidity have little effect on them.

There is nothing like fine wood stocks except the price (Very expensive) and laminates are
    the next best thing in my opinion.

They also have the best balance of any stock.

J E CUSTOM

5. GNERGY

GNERGY Guest

I have 3 of the Bobby Hart LRT stocks from Stockys stocks. I prefer the ones without the aluminum bedding blocks and use the Devcon steel putty to bed them. Like JE said they are mostly epoxy and colored wood and strong as hell. I just got done inletting one for a heavier barrel for a friend of mine on his 338 Ultra Mag build.
    For around 200 bucks the fit and finish on those stocks is a 99 out of 100.
    Tarey

6. TxHillCountry

TxHillCountry Member

Thanks for the information. My only other concern is the laminate splitting. Most of the stocks come with swivel studs already installed; as long as there isn't undo stress from incorrectly installing more studs (which I don't see a reason for) is the chance of the stock splitting very slim?

7. GNERGY

GNERGY Guest

You will bend the front swivel stud before you split the stock, I know that for a fact, did it already. I was using this bipod I had made for load development and the bracket that connects the stud to the bipod had loosened up and bent the swivel stud on my 338 Ultra mag. I made a T nut to fit in the stock with a threaded stud to cure that problem.
    Tarey

8. TxHillCountry

TxHillCountry Member

As far as a bedding compound, which one is best Acraglass, Devcon, Marinetex, I've even heard guys using JB Weld. I have also been told that the material used for reinforcement is what is the most important. Any guidance on what will work best for the laminated stock?

9. GNERGY

GNERGY Guest

Devcon steel putty, I use it on all my bed jobs.
    Here is a link to one of my bedding jobs, might help you out.
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/work-art-its-way-54165/
    There was also some good info by a member named Nesikachad about bedding, I acquired a lot of good info from him.
    If you have any questions just fire away.
    Tarey

10. TxHillCountry

TxHillCountry Member

Thanks for the info I will look into the Devcon. Nice rifle by the way.

11. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

Hence the reason I use wood laminates...they do everything a man could want EXCEPT they are typically heavier than H*** but since I dont arry my varminters around...it dont matter.

I bought mine from Remingtom direct and from Stockys

12. TxHillCountry

TxHillCountry Member

Weight won't be an issue for me since I will be still hunting. I also would like to jewel the bolt, but I don't have a drill press and necessary equipment, or know anyone who does. What is the typical cost to have this done by a gun smith?

13. 700man

700man Well-Known Member

Devcon is great, easy to work with.