Remington 700 PSS Bolt Assembly

raptr

I purchased a 700 PSS .300 Win Mag and found the entire bolt assembly is very flimsy. When you pull the bolt to the rear it almost feels as though the entire bolt assembly is going to fall off in your hand. I can't imagine Remingon would install such a flimsy assembly out of the factory. I contacted Remington direct and all they could recommend was sending the rifle back to the factory. Is this a known issue with this weapon or do I need to seek a gunsmith for a custom fit action ?

-Thanks.

Can you be more specific? Are you displeased with the weight of the bolt, or is something else bothering you? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

The action is pretty smooth, but the entire bolt assembly has a bit of play in it. Basically, when the bolt is closed it has a very small amount of play if you wiggle it from the bolt handle and when the bolt is to the rear it has even more play if you wiggle it. This is not a trivial concern, it's pretty major considering the application and setup of this weapon. If this is Remington's idea of a Long Range setup, my money is better spent on a Savage.

-Thanks.

So if you have the bolt opened and all the way back, the bolt handle wiggles? If this is the case, it's normal, there's nothing except the bolt head to support the bolt at all, and 3/4 of the bolt is hanging out into space without any support whatsoever. Most importantly, how does the rifle shoot?

The Remington bolt is hardly "flimsy" but yes - it does rattle around a bit when pulled back. Go check another Remington 700 or two if you'd like, for comparison.

BTW - a Rem 700 PSS generally shoots very well.

Did you try the Remington bolt before you bought the rifle? It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your rifle.

Regards, Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.