Remington 700 Pillars Needed

I was wondering the same thing. Why would you need/want to pillar bed a stock that already had the Alum. block in it? It's been my understanding pillars weren't needed when using a stock with the Alum. block in them but that all stocks could benefit from a good standard bedding job.

I have a VS, and that aluminum casting was of very poor quality. Wasn't strait, and the seating area was simply hit or miss. I recut mine with a ball end mill that was about .010" smaller in diameter. Then lapped it in with a steel dowl pin I made that was about .002" smaller in diameter. Then I found that after getting about 85% contact the bedding block was speading when the action was torqued to about 35 inch pounds. I pillar bedded it, and made a steel insert for the recol lug to seat against, and never looked back. Had I todo all over again, I'd have simply replaced the stock as anything would have been better.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.