Remington 700 mag.

robin12

I just purchased a rem 700 mag w/ Millet LRS-1 scope.
I would like to be able to do some long range shooting. Does anyone have any experience with this particular weapon out of the box?

Also what is going to be the best round that will give me a nice tight group?

You could not have picked a finer rifle, or a finer caliber. I am assuming it is one of the new ones that have the 26 inch barrel. If not, the 24 shoots fine. I would recommend jumping right in to the accuracy ring and get yourself some Berger 168 VLD,( orange box) . A good starting and probably the best powder is H1000. Again assuming that you hand load. Your gun does not have a heavy barrel but it will still group well. They hit hard, and go a looooooong way. Recoil is not bad even with full house loads. I have been using WLR standard primers. Accuracy is incredible, and ES is minimal. Velocity is about 2977. Have fun and enjoy. Welcome aboard, it's a good ride.AIM SMALL,MISS SMALLlightbulb gun) 7 STW.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.