Remington 700 LSS-338UM???

HOGGHEAD

I found a really good price on a Remington model 700LSS. The cartridge is 338 Remington Ultra Mag. I have been reading alot of posts about cartridge's, but I have not seen many posts on this cartridge. I was wanting to put together a long range elk rifle. What are the pro's and con's of this particular rig, and cartridge??? The rifle is NIB, and Left Handed. Thanks, Tom.

No cons what ever.

The only comment would be that for Looonnnnggg Range the heavier the rifle the better. For just long range to say 1200 yards, if set up properly it should work well.

I use a Rem 700 338 RUM pushing 300 SMKs at 2700+ and the numbers are plenty sufficient for big game out there quite a ways.

Of course, it has a brake, most don't which is why there isn't much written about them. Its hard to write with tears in your eyes.:D

I shot it prone on a bipod out to 1100 yds and it prints good enough, though a little over powered, for chucks.:D

I found a really good price on a Remington model 700LSS. The cartridge is 338 Remington Ultra Mag. I have been reading alot of posts about cartridge's, but I have not seen many posts on this cartridge. I was wanting to put together a long range elk rifle. What are the pro's and con's of this particular rig, and cartridge??? The rifle is NIB, and Left Handed. Thanks, Tom.

I have a LH LSS in 338 RUM. It is an awesome caliber. My hunting load is just under 3100 fps with a 225g accubond. Shoots sub MOA all day long. The only thing done to it was pillar and glass bed by my buddy Eaglet. I'd recommend getting one to anyone if they had the chance. I bought mine from Philny1 here on the board. I think he still has another. Might want to check with him too. Good guy to deal with.

I have a XCR 700 in 338RUM and it is very nice with 225accubonds its a .5 half inch at a 100yds i would try and beat you to it to have another if it was not LH buy it and enjoy

I have a LH LSS in 338 RUM. It is an awesome caliber. My hunting load is just under 3100 fps with a 225g accubond. Shoots sub MOA all day long. The only thing done to it was pillar and glass bed by my buddy Eaglet. I'd recommend getting one to anyone if they had the chance. I bought mine from Philny1 here on the board. I think he still has another. Might want to check with him too. Good guy to deal with.

:) Correction:

Free floated, pillar and glass bedded, trigger adjustment. :)

I have a LH 700 338 RUM that started out as a BDL, now duracoated in an LSS stock. It shot under half inch right out of the box before I did anything to it other than have it ported. It seems like lots of people are getting sterling accuracy from this round. I am very happy with this round for elk, haven't stretched it out too far but smoked a bull this year at 320 yds. Go for it, but I would definitely have it ported or preferably braked. I don't know what mine would have recoiled like before porting but I do know what my 338 WM kicked like and I didn't like it from the bench or prone.

Best of luck!

P.S. anybody else who is left handed, please feel free to PM me if you ever have anything LH you want to sell or trade. You never know!

Sam

Phil must have been watching. He just put a LH 338 RUM BDL in the classified for $559. I still think he has an LSS as well.

I have a 700LSS in 338 RUM and it is also a shooter. I added a Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad. Scope is a VXIII 2.5x8 with M1 dials.
JD700LSS338RUM2.jpg

Accuracy is pretty good with all the bullet weights too.
338RUM250grPT.jpg

338RUM440yds.jpg

JD338

A LEFTY?! IN A 338 LSS!? If you don't want it, send her on down my way! It WILL be sold asap!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.