remington 700 ejector problem

Wi whitetail

today i was breaking in the barrel on my new 700 in 270. after 9 shots i opened the bolt and the case didn't eject. i took a closer look and found that the ejector was stuck down in the bolt face. i was shooting handloads-43 grains of 4064 under a 130 sst. i could not find any signs of pressure, so i have no idea why it did this. i don't know much about gunsmithing and was wondering if this is an easy fix, or should i take it to a smith

thanks-wiwhitetail

You should be able to knock the case out with a cleaning rod. I would bet the problem is a dirty chamber.

If it does not come out easily, take it to a gunsmith. The end of the rifling is sensitive, and scratching it can destroy accuracy.

K2

I believe he's having trouble with the ejector rather than the extractor, I often have ejector troubles too.

I find that if my loads are a little hot there is a little brass shaved into the ejector hole and this binds up the ejector. The round is extracted fine by just sits on the end of the bolt and need to be picked off by fingers. I clean the bolt and double check the ejector hole clear/clean.

Check for a round shiney mark on the case head where the brass is shaved off by the ejector.

If your loads are not causing extraction or bolt lift problems, you may just have a bur around the ejector hole that's shaving brass.
Not unusual on some remingtons.

Just lightly de-bur the hole with some 600 grit paper with the ejector removed, might solve the problem.

Can the ejector be completely removed and the spent case be removed by hand? I heard that some bench rest shooters do this.

Thanks
Andrew

I usually pull the ejector when fireforming cases so I know the case base is totally against the boltface. Factory springloaded ejectors can also knock the neck out-of-round especially on thin walled turned cases. So you can grind the ejector face to shorten the throw, lessen the spring or remove it entirely.
db

I cut the spring (one coil at a time!) until the plunger is just strong enough to move the case over so I can pluck it out.

I suppose I'll want a stronger spring if I ever get charged by a hoard!

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.