remington 700 chambering/ejection issue

RugerNo1shooter

Most of the time rifles seem to eject cartridges after they've been fired.

My Late 1970's rem 700 243 is ejecting them as I try to chamber them.

It also fails engage the cartridge sometimes to push it forward........and of course if it does engage the cartridge....tie cartridge gets popped out of the action by the follower.

any suggestions? Anyone run into this before?

Thanks
Pat

WOW, where to start ? I would first check the mag. feed rails, spring, follower for proper fit, etc. Then check extractor for fit/function.

Dis-assemble and clean the magazine box, you'd be surprised at what I've found in some. Be sure to clean the underside of the feed rails. Mag springs on hunting rifles don't usually have issues like auto pistol mags sometimes do, but, ya' never know. If the mag spring looks like it's bent 'funny' (nose down) changing the spring may be the answer, it's a $7/$8 part. Let us know what you find.

Took it apart to inspect and .....Hehe mag box was missing....put a spare in and the problem was GONE!!

Thanks everyone!

Pat

I could say that I never forgot to put the mag box back in....but I'd be a liar.
Glad it was something simple!

I could say that I never forgot to put the mag box back in....but I'd be a liar.
Glad it was something simple!

well,...I can't say I've forgotten the mag box on the bench but I've assembled a blind mag bolt action more than once with the spring and follower on the bench...:)...they don't feed well that way either...:-0

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.