Remington 700 aftermarket trigger?

timmyatnop

I have a remington sendaro in 300 rum,Ive adjusted the trigger to a lighter pull but its still about 4 lbs,when i go lighter yet the trigger doesn't work at all, it seem to shoot good, but when i squeeze the trigger while shooting,my cross hairs move up the target and i don't like that,so i wana put an aftermarket on it.Somthing that will adjust down and one that i can install here at home. Any suggestion thinking about a timney. gun)

I was in a similar predicament when adjusting the one on my Sendero, and then mine broke. I looked at Timney, Jewell and others, and also did a lot of Googling.

In the end I sent mine to Dave Tooley who worked his magic on it. I absolutely love it - it's the best trigger I own, bar none. So, I would highly recommend considering getting a trigger job done on your factory trigger. Not only will you like it but it also costs half what a replacement trigger would cost.

Just sent my business partner's Rem 700 trigger to him and received it back on Saturday. That will get reinstalled once I bed the action.

The Jewell is a little pricey, but I like the way it works. However, it takes up more room than the factory trigger, and you have to open the trigger well for it.

Dr. Vette's endorsement of Dave Tooley's trigger work would certainly be worth doing.

Also, if you search for "Remington trigger adjustment" you should come up with a procedure by Paul "Pablito" Coburn to adjust the older triggers. I've used it, and it works good. Not as good as a Jewell, but I think as good as a Timney.

I've never messed with the new Rem triggers, so no idea what to do with them.

Good luck, Tom

For factory Remington triggers, remember that each of the "incidents" that happened with the MSNBC bashing of Remington were when people adjusted their factory trigger. A professional gunsmith that knows triggers can do a great job and get satisfactory results with a factory trigger.

A Jewell trigger is great if you want the same trigger to go from a few ounces for benchrest or varmint hunting to a few pounds. Other than that, there are better options. A properly adjusted Shilen, Timney, Rifle Basix, etc. will give you a great hunting weight trigger and cost half of the Jewell. A professionally re-worked factory trigger will also work fine and cost less than the Shilen/Timney/Rifle Basix.

If it is a pre xmark I would do a trigger job using the instructions suggested above. If I had to have an aftermarket I would get a Shilen. Timney 510 gets good reviews for toughness but is considerably wider and requires work on the trigger job.

I have a sendero 300RUM with the X-Mark pro trigger, my gunsmith would only take it down to 3lbs, in my opinion it was still too heavy and just plain junk. So I got a trigger from Larry scott, best money I ever spent. Those jewell triggers are worth their weight in gold. From here on out every gun I own will have a jewell trigger in it.

I contacted a couple of gunsmiths and they said they will not do trigger work, so gona get an aftermarket headed my way thank for the advice everbody.

For me it was a hard decision between a timney and a jewell, but after talking with Larry Scott I was sold on Jewell triggers and did not regret it. My shooting buddy has a jewell in his sendero 7RUM and loves it. Very easy to install yourself. I have mine set quite low, some people think mine is too low for hunting, but hey if your aware of how light its set and just remember that and not get buck fever you will do fine. I think my trigger is set at about 12oz. I am suprised that you couldn't find a smith that would work on your trigger as most smiths feel they can work a trigger over to where its better or just as good as an after market trigger.
Good luck

Someone once told me Jewell triggers are VERY expensive to own. I didn't get what they meant until I bought and used my first one. Now, almost everything I have has a Jewell trigger in it.

Stay away from jewell. i bought a jewell thinking because it cost more it would be superior. Thats not the case. i sent mine back to jewell twice with no luck. the trigger had a bit of gritty take up that never got fixed. i sent it back to midway for a timney. Almost 100 dollars less. I believe the prices should be the other way around. The timney should cost 230 and the jewell should cost 120. Dont be fooled like me

Stay away from jewell. i bought a jewell thinking because it cost more it would be superior. Thats not the case. i sent mine back to jewell twice with no luck. the trigger had a bit of gritty take up that never got fixed. i sent it back to midway for a timney. Almost 100 dollars less. I believe the prices should be the other way around. The timney should cost 230 and the jewell should cost 120. Dont be fooled like me
You must have just got a lemon. I love mine. I just clean mine with Zipo lighter fluid once in a while, and had no problems with it even with all the shooting I do in Wyoming dust. I have it set at 2oz, and I came bang the buttstock off a cement floor and the gun won't accidentally discharge.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.