Remington 700 5R Stock LA Any Good for a Build?

scsims

Thinking of buying a Remington stock that came off of a 5R rifle. Does anybody know who makes these stocks and are they a good stock to build off of?

Looks similar to the Police stocks.

I don't know anything about the 5R stock, but if it has an aluminum chassis and pillar blocks, it will be good for a build. If it fits good, looks acceptable to you, and has a good price, go for it. Skim bedding will make it better still. If it is a tupperware stock, I'd pass. To me, they're just handles, not stocks.

If it doesn't work out, I've been impressed with the Bell & Carlson Medalist stocks. They have the chassis and pillar blocks, and are less than $300. Heckuva deal.

If that doesn't work for you, get a laminate stock with an aluminum chassis and pillar blocks. In my opinion, that's the best, but will be more expensive. Accurate Innovations makes a dandy, but it'll be in the $500 - $600 range for a plain one. I always use them when I can afford to. If you call them, talk to Wes.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your project.

Tom

Its an HS Precision stock, good stock, of course not McMillan or Manners, but I have one on a Savage, havent shot it yet so still deciding on whether to skim bed it or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.