Remington 700 5R Stock LA Any Good for a Build?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by scsims, Aug 2, 2012.

1. scsims

scsims Well-Known Member

Thinking of buying a Remington stock that came off of a 5R rifle. Does anybody know who makes these stocks and are they a good stock to build off of?

Looks similar to the Police stocks.

2. specweldtom

specweldtom Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the 5R stock, but if it has an aluminum chassis and pillar blocks, it will be good for a build. If it fits good, looks acceptable to you, and has a good price, go for it. Skim bedding will make it better still. If it is a tupperware stock, I'd pass. To me, they're just handles, not stocks.

If it doesn't work out, I've been impressed with the Bell & Carlson Medalist stocks. They have the chassis and pillar blocks, and are less than $300. Heckuva deal.

If that doesn't work for you, get a laminate stock with an aluminum chassis and pillar blocks. In my opinion, that's the best, but will be more expensive. Accurate Innovations makes a dandy, but it'll be in the $500 - $600 range for a plain one. I always use them when I can afford to. If you call them, talk to Wes.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your project.

Tom

3. big mike 2121

big mike 2121 Well-Known Member

Its an HS Precision stock, good stock, of course not McMillan or Manners, but I have one on a Savage, havent shot it yet so still deciding on whether to skim bed it or not.