Remington 700 5R 300 Magnum Optics Question

hd28cw

Hello All,

I am new to the forum.....
Just purchsed a Remington 700 5r Mil-Spec in 300 win mag...
I am now trying to sort out what type of scope to add to this monster....

Not sure if I want the leupold or the Nightforce.....but regardless its definitely going to be a 50mm maybe the 56mm nightforce.

can anyone suggest a base.....I think maybe the leupold mark 4, two piece or the nightforce 1 piece solid rail.

If I go with the mark 4 rings what is the minimum height required for scope clearance.

If anybody has a picture of a good setup I'd appreciate seeing it

Thanks in adavance for the help

hd28cw

Hello All,

I am new to the forum.....
Just purchsed a Remington 700 5r Mil-Spec in 300 win mag...
I am now trying to sort out what type of scope to add to this monster....

Not sure if I want the leupold or the Nightforce.....but regardless its definitely going to be a 50mm maybe the 56mm nightforce.

can anyone suggest a base.....I think maybe the leupold mark 4, two piece or the nightforce 1 piece solid rail.

If I go with the mark 4 rings what is the minimum height required for scope clearance.

If anybody has a picture of a good setup I'd appreciate seeing it

Thanks in adavance for the help

hd28cw

As far as Base & rings, I would go with NightForce on both. Had them on the exact gun you have with a 4-16x50 Swar. Great setup. Heavy gun/setup for hunting though.

This is how I set up my Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm (30mm tube) PST FFP MOA scope with a custom elevation turret:

Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

I removed the bubble level off the rail after I got the one on the scope tube adjusted correctly.

joseph

PS: IMHO I think the scope I have is a much better choice then the Leupold and I do not think the NF will give you any advantage over the PST and mine cost $899.95 plus about $100 for the Vortex custom turret. The Vortex reticle is better than the Leupold and is equal if not better than the NF NP-R1 reticule IMHO.

RETICLES OVERVIEW

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.