Remington 597 ?

Oregonhunter

Good mornin all!
This past year I won a Remington M597 .22 mag. Nothing fancy but free is always a good price!!

My question is has anyone out there shot a 597 and if so what do ya think about them?
I have always been a 1022 fan and I have not fired the 597 yet,(really nothing to hunt here with a .22 mag)

I did not want to shoot it if I am going to sell it.

If they are well liked I plan on keeping it. But if they are not well thought of, I would
like to take it down to the local gun shop and get something a little nicer!

Any opinions would be appreciated!!

THX!! Rob

Thanks for the reply!

All my buddys think I should sell it but I am thinking it would be a great little gun to teach my kids how to shoot?

The only thing is I would have prefered to teach them on something other than an auto.

Could make a good close range rabbit buster!

Thx! Rob

Rob,

My grandpas got one i thinks hed put about 10,000 rounds thru it, and has had no trouble with it, im not sure wht kind of accuracy hes getting.
Good shootin,
Brian

I bought one right after they came out. They are known to have a terrible trigger pull on them. I bought a "target hammer" from Canjar triggers for around $36.00. It takes about 10 minutes to replace the factory hammer, it's easy to do yourself. The target hammer will drop the trigger to 2-2 1/2 lbs. The hammer makes a new gun out of it. I was so disgusted with mine when I bought it that I was ready to get rid of it real quick. I called one of Remington's gunsmith and he recommended the Canjar. Look in to it if you are thinking of keeping the gun.

Thanks for the input!
wink.gif

I was wondering about the trigger thing,it doesnt seem like the folks at Remington put much effort in this part of the gun.
confused.gif

Rob

Trigger is no good, jarvis and VQ make new hammers for them that brings the pull down to around 3 lbs maybe a little less. You can get it at rimfiresports.com for cheaper than VQ sells thiers.
For all your 597 needs come over to rimfirecentral.com go to the remington section there are a lot of guys there that have tweaked the 597 to just about as far as you can. Alot of good info, I am there under the same name as here.
Have a good one. -Adam

I know that VQ and Jarvis make after market heavy barrels, but is Remington coming out with a 17 HMR stainless heavy barrel anytime soon?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.