Remington 40X or other action for build?

.30US

I have a Remington 40X 7.62 repeater that I am considering re-barreling to .260 Remington. Would I be better stripping down this rifle and selling off the wood stock and factory barrel, or buying an action (Surgeon Short Round Action is the only one I'm really familiar with and it is under $800, which I might offset with selling the 40X)?

I would like to support forum sponsors/members for the gunsmithing that will be needed, and would gladly accept recommendations for who does good work at reasonable rates.

I have a bone stock 40X in .222 that I have used for 15 years and love the rifle. The stock barrel is first-rate, as is the action (or at least it seems to be, judging from the accuracy). If it were me, I would contact Darrell Holland in Powers, Oregon and ask his opinion. He built another rifle in .22-250 for me, using a Hart heavy barrel, 40x action and trigger and McMillan stock. The components were purchased separately.

Darrell could definitely advise you. He is a contributor on LRH and one helluva gunsmith.

I have a Remington 40X 7.62 repeater that I am considering re-barreling to .260 Remington. Would I be better stripping down this rifle and selling off the wood stock and factory barrel, or buying an action (Surgeon Short Round Action is the only one I'm really familiar with and it is under $800, which I might offset with selling the 40X)?

I would like to support forum sponsors/members for the gunsmithing that will be needed, and would gladly accept recommendations for who does good work at reasonable rates.

With the 40X you have a great rifle to build a custom on !

The Action is the best that Remington builds and the 40X comes from the custom shop
so every part is as good as any factory rifle could be.

I would not hesitate to build on a 40X action and stock combo. Most of the stainless barrels
were harts and hold up real well under lots of rounds, They can be set back to freshen up
the chamber and return to there original accuracy in most cases.

To re barrel in 260 Rem is straight forward and nothing else has to be done to the rifle.

A barrel is a lot cheaper than an action and a barrel combo, plus any other accessories
like a trigger,floor metal,bullet follower and mag box that you may have to buy.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

I am a big fan of the 40X, which is why I hate the idea of cannibalizing one. However, I bought both of mine used, the second of which was used enough in competition that the stock had to be refinished and was never re-bedded. I don't know how much erosion is in the chamber throat, but I still have my first 40X, which is its twin, so I thought a .260 with a Brux standard Palma barrel would be a nice hunting and long range target rifle. I just don't know how much gunsmithing will have to go into the 40X action versus just selling my second 40X and buying a Surgeon action for a starting point. I figure the Surgeon will not need any truing and I would not have to commit blasphemy and tear down a classic 40X. Maybe I'll post my second 40X in the for sale section and see if I get any hits. If I don't get any in a reasonable amount of time, then I guess I build on the 40X. Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into Darrell Holland's work, and hope to hear other suggestions, as well.

First 40X:
DSCN0859.jpg

Second 40X:
40x2.jpg

I am a big fan of the 40X, which is why I hate the idea of cannibalizing one. However, I bought both of mine used, the second of which was used enough in competition that the stock had to be refinished and was never re-bedded. I don't know how much erosion is in the chamber throat, but I still have my first 40X, which is its twin, so I thought a .260 with a Brux standard Palma barrel would be a nice hunting and long range target rifle. I just don't know how much gunsmithing will have to go into the 40X action versus just selling my second 40X and buying a Surgeon action for a starting point. I figure the Surgeon will not need any truing and I would not have to commit blasphemy and tear down a classic 40X. Maybe I'll post my second 40X in the for sale section and see if I get any hits. If I don't get any in a reasonable amount of time, then I guess I build on the 40X. Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into Darrell Holland's work, and hope to hear other suggestions, as well.

First 40X:
DSCN0859.jpg

Second 40X:
40x2.jpg

All actions need to be trued or at least checked.

I have found some custom action in need of some fine tuning as does most/all factory
actions. They are all made on machinery and buy man and can have errors.

And I feel that re barreling a fine rifle is not bad it just makes it better if done right.

But if you don't want to change barrels you will have no problems selling a 40x if the price
is fair for a donor with a good action and stock.

I have re barreled some very expensive rifles and the owners have been thrilled with the
improvements in accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

But if you don't want to change barrels you will have no problems selling a 40x if the price is fair for a donor with a good action and stock.

I would dearly love the bottom one just as it is, but I already have enough bad habits without getting into one more.

it looks like your 40x is a set up for iron sight competion shooting. rebarreling to 260 on the 40x is easy and it is a fine action and done all the time. is the question what to do with the shoot from position stock hardwaare and iron sight ??

I appreciate y'all's input. I have a particular affinity for 40X models since one of my first competition rifles was a USMC 40X .22LR years ago. The previous owner of my second 40X (the position rifle) was a competition shooter, as well, and assured me that the accuracy had not dropped off with the barrel prior to his refinishing of the stock and removing the bedding, but he had not shot it since that time. I have not fired a shot through it in the four years I have owned it. Are the position rifles more desirable as complete rifles than standard 40Xs? Below is another photo with the grip for offhand shooting. If I do part it out, do people want these old wooden stocks? I figure there is some use for the sights since they can go on so many competition rifles, but the 40X community seems so small to start with, so I figure moving a stock is tougher. Perhaps I better just sell it complete; with my discount, the Surgeon action is under $800, so I could probably get it and some other components for the value of the 40X and not have to tear down such a beautiful rifle.

40x3.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.