remington 338 lapua on its way

rgrjeep

Next week my Factory Remington 338 lapua arrives. Should I change the muzzle break and trigger right away? What about bolt and reciever work?
Unfortunately the only ammo I can get right now are 225 Nosler Accubond and CCI large magnum primers. I already have H1000. Any suggestions on load or working the gun? I plan on having it semi-redi for a bear hunt next month.

And to think that Bountyhunter said that the 700 Action was no good for the 338 Laupa Cartridge, I guess Remington didn't read his post.....

Most of the gunsmiths that I've discussed this with would agree with BountyHunter. All said that it is possible, but not recommended given the structual size and strength of the standard 700 action.

Is it possible that either of these factors has changed to accomodate the 300 Lapua in the new rifle or are all of Remington's laywers just laying down the gloves waiting for Remington to take a KO punch?

George Gardner, Shawn Carlock, Chris Mathews, just to name a few that have used the 700 action for the 338 Laupa. Jack Huntington has built 30/378 and 338/378's on the 700 Action.. The 700 is just as adequate for these cartridges as the Wea. Mark 5 Action in the critical areas... Remington had a Model 700 Actioned 338 Laupa at the 06 Shot Show. This is not new by the way...

Last edited:
I don't know any specifics about the gun, I just assume it will need the basics to make it a decent shooter.
I was just excited to see a 338 lapua come from the factory and for such a low price.

It is not on remington's website. I will get my first chance play with it this weekend. I will let you know what the package really consists of.

I talked with one of the Chandlers from Brigade Armory at the recent Richmond VA gun show. We got discussing the 700 in 338 Lapua coming out. He told me that he did the testing for Remington on the 338 and the CM action tested very good and higher than the SS actions. More than enough to handle the 338 Lapua.

We discussed Dan Liljas testing and article that has been around for years on the 700 action and large cases. He agreed with part of it and if I remember right, he was talking about a difference in the 338 extractor vs the standard 700 and a couple other tweaks. He who gets one in his hands can update that info.

I have based my statements off Dan Liljas testing of the 700 action which has been the most highly acknowledged info available on large cases in the 700.

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Articles: 378 Weatherby Cases in the Remington 700 Action?

You will see that the 338 Lapua is only .003 smaller than the Rigby case.

Guess time will tell if this is good to go.

For the money and extractor issue, it now makes sense to just buy a new bolt from Dave Kiff with the extractor placed correctly and it will be cheaper than reworking an existing bolt, plus you can sell the old bolt for 75% of what you paid for the Kiff bolt.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.