Remington 1100 20 Gauge Mag

Discussion in 'Shotguns And Shotgunning (NOT Slugs)' started by SES50, Jan 11, 2008.

1. SES50

SES50 Well-Known Member

I know this is not LRH related but I hope that some of the gun experts on this list can help me out. I have a "N" Serial Remington 1100 20 Gauge Mag. This is a pre-1977 shotgun. I would like to shoot 2 3/4" non mag shells which means I need a non-mag barrel with two gas port holes instead of the one gas port hole in the mag barrel. The problem is I can not find a vendor that makes pre-1977 barrels and I have not been able to find a used one.

Can anyone here help me out with ideas on where I can find a new or used barrel for this shotgun?

Thanks
    SES50

2. redbone

redbone Well-Known Member

I have the same kind of 1100 20 Ga . .I have been looking for an Replacement Barrel . Used is the only ones out there . I would take the 1100 to an Gunsmith around where you live. He can lok at the Port holes you are asking about .

That would be the safe way to do things

Redbone

3. SES50

SES50 Well-Known Member

So I did more work on this today. I called remington and they explained a couple of things. First of all that there are two recievers, a large and small version. Second the difference between the magnum and the standard is one gas port for the magnum and two gas ports for the standard. So, a pre-1977 standard 20 gauge barrel will fit on a pre-1977 magnum 20 gauge frame.

They gave me a couple of contacts and one of them had just gotten in a 26" 20 gauge barrel with a vented rib and improved cylinder, new in the box. So for $352 including shipping I am now the proud owner. Man, I have other shotguns that cost as much as that barrel. Oh well.

SES50