Rem XCR TLR Reloading

metro257

I have a new Remington XCR Tactical 26" in .308. I am having a terrible time load building/testing to find what this thing likes. Does anyone have one, have a good load that works for it, etc...? I prefer SMK 175 BTHP, but will use 168 if works good

Well what have you tried so far??

I've never owned a 308, but there is a couple proven powders that the 308 likes. I believe IMR-4064 and Varget is a good choice, as is IMR-4895.

I'm sure someone with some real world experience will chime in soon.

I'm surprised your having a hard time doing work up. Most 308's you just throw some powder in, seat a bullet and the darn thing shoots. Not to often you hear of 308's giving a guy problems.

I have 5 different 308's in different makes and models including an XCR Tactical. I shoot Lapua, Winchester, and Federal brass 44.0 gr Varget, CCI 250, and 168 gr Amax in all of them. They are seated to fit the magazine box as you'll never get closed to the lands and fit the mag box of a Remington. My XCR shoots amazing. I have a quarter I shot 3 times with it at 100 yards. I have a hunting load with 165 Accubonds, but I don't remember the charge right off hand. My 5 shot average with the 168's in the XCR was 2680 with no signs of pressure. I had to sent the XCR back to Remington after I got it for a new barrel. About 6" of the barrel on the muzzle end looked like someone drove a piece of rebar down it. They actually replaced the whole rifle in short order. Anyhow, this seems to be a good load for my rifles.

Thanks for the replies guys. So far i have been loading 175 SMK BTHP with IMR 4064 at 45.5, 45, 44.5,44. Also tried multiple loads with benchmark and RE15. The best i could get was with 44 of IMR4064. I actually shot my first group at a great .209 inch 4 shot. I thought it nailed the load, then the next 4 i shot after cool down threw them all over the paper. I was ready to pull my hair out. Sometimes i think i should have kept my reliable 10FP Tactical that shot all kinds of trash rounds sub MOA.

Sounds to me like you might have a scope problem.. If not a scope maybe you too have something wrong with your barrel. I would look the gun over very closely and inspect everything.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.