Rem VTR has arrived

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NONYA, Feb 16, 2008.

1. NONYA

NONYA Banned

My personal opinon...OUT FRIGGEN STANDING,this rifle was made for me,it is the first rifle I have owned or held that fits me out of the box,no alterations required.I topped it with a Bushnell Elite 10x with the mildot and target turrets,Harris swivel pod,Leupold 2 piece twist in base and rings.I Only got to shoot enough rounds tonight to get it zeroed at 100 and it was grouping VERY well,I put 5 shots in 1.5 inch with bulk FMJ off the hood of the truck before it was so dark I couldnt see the bullseye.It shoulders with ease,its light,the rubber inserts in the stock give me a rock solid grip for offhand shooting,the length is perfect,the action is smooth as teflon,the trigger is a bit heavy for me but that will be remedied tonight.I am seriously considering the mag conversion for 4 and 10 round magazines,I think it would be a nice addition to the tactical look and feel of the rifle as well as making PD hunting a blast 10X.This is my first 308 ,with the built in muzzle break its like shooting a 223,fun.I give it a 10/10 for a factory rifle and I am certian this will be a sub moa rifle with handloads,cant wait to get it bloody.
    [​IMG]

2. SUNDEVIL

SUNDEVIL Well-Known Member

Great looking gun! Wild barrel!

3. wildcat

wildcat Well-Known Member

NONYA,

Congrates on the new Remington VTR rifle. Looks real nice and the barrel is pretty interesting. I have heard this rifle is performing well. I bet once you start reloading your own stuff, it will shoot 1/2 inch or lower groups.

The stock looks nice too, and the muzzle brake is a nice touch. With the muzzle brake, this little beauty is barly going to recoil. The muzzle brake will come in handy on those Pdog shoots. Have you decided on what bullets your going to use?

You have a 1-12 twist barrel, so I would suggest the 110grn V-Max or 125grn Ballistic Tip for Pdoggin. My friend uses a Remington 700 VLS in 308 Winchester. He uses it for squirrel, Pdog and coyote hunting. His rifle is pretty much stock, all he did was add a Jewel trigger to it. It shoots 1/2 inch groups all day long. His favorite bullet for vaminting, is the 110grn V-Max.

Here is what his load consist of;
    1. Brass-Lapua
    2. Powder-52grns Winchester 748
    3. Primers-Federal 210 Match
    4. Bullet-Hornady 110grn V-Max

He has a 26" barrel and his velocities, with the above load, are around 3250 to 3300fps. I highly recommend using the Lapua brass, it performes well and will make a difference in your accuracy. This is an excellent varmint load for shots out to 600 yards. It is very accurate and devasataing. I believe your barrel is 22" in length, so your velocity will be a little sower.

Your rifle and scope look awesome. Have fun huntng Pdogs with your new rig. Report back on how she shoots and let me know if the load above works.

Wildcat

4. NONYA

NONYA Banned

Thanx for the load data Wildcat,i plan on a light load (110-125) for varmits and yotes and a 150 gr load for BG,ill probably go with a barnes TSX or mrx FOR THE 150S and something way cheaper for the light loads.I have a pile of 150 gr fmjs that I will shoot up for brak in and getting some trigger time in.i just adjusted the trigger down to where I like it,it really breaks nice,I doubt i will replace the trigger.Always wanted a 308 and i always wanted one of Remmys tactical style 700s,im a happy camper!

5. NONYA

NONYA Banned

[​IMG]

6. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

I see nothing but a factory rifle that someone has gone special effects on. Looks kinda rough around the edges in the pics. Not impressed at all.

7. NONYA

NONYA Banned

Some of us dont have $10,000 to spend on an ugly ass rifle like the one in your avatar(not impressed with your shiney pimp rifle),I have to settle for these factory made rifles that may not shoot as well as yours but kill more game than you ever dreamed of.Poooor me.By special effects do you mean somthing like a stainless fluted barrel and a spiral cut bolt,or a plastic multicolored stock?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  8. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

Like they say, "Don't mud wrestle with a piggy cause you'll just end up muddy......and the piggy likes it". So I won't.

Just expressed an opinion, like you think you need to do all of the time. Difference is I don't make derogatory or personal remarks. What's the matter little buddy??? Got your little chef's hat all bunched up in your knickers?:rolleyes:

You seem to have one hell of a chip on your shoulder and just can't wait to find a thread somewhere and piss on it. Problem is, most of the time you don't even read everything and end up making a fool of yourself because you don't read, or understand, what was written.

Your response was just what I expected given your history on this site of being pissed off all of the time and trying to pass your judgment on all others. You really need to take a chill pill because so far all you've done is piss off the population, but, I know you don't care and I guess that's just who and what you are.

Have a nice day with your new rifle. Sure hope you can get it to shoot better than 1.5" groups at 100 yards.:rolleyes:

9. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

Hmm? Reminds me of another thread.

10. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

Good luck with the new gun. I bet with a little playing around you will see those groups tighten up. Thanks for the pics.

11. cash338rum

cash338rum Well-Known Member

Great gun

Congrats on your gun. Agree with your last post. Pretty isn't perfect. But I think your new gun is perfect. Very useable. Sometimes people have to BUY a group the rest of use can shoot the group. Let us know how it shoots because I would love to own one. Very nice.gun)

12. wildcat

wildcat Well-Known Member

NONYA, Don't let one guy get to you. Your rifle is very nice. With the right reloading components, you will get that rifle to shoot sub MOA groups.

Lilke you said, not everyone can afford a $6000 set up. However, if you follow a strict reloading regiment, you will get that baby to shoot close to a $6000 rig.

Spend the extra money on the Lapua 308 Brass. It is worth the extra cash, and I bet it alone cuts your groups down. When you have the cash, look at either a after market trigger like Jewel or Shilen. The Shilen's run around $100 and the Jewels around $200, both are awesome triggers and will help cut down on your groups.

The other excellent advantage when buying a Remington rifle, their triggers are easy to work on. My friend got his Remington trigger adjusted buy a qualified gunsmith, and his pull is 1.5 pounds.

Enjoy your new rig and keep us informed on how she shoots after load developement.

W.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  13. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

I must be really under pricing my custom rifles. I have never even come remotely close to $6000 for one of my rifles let alone $10K.

In fact, even my top end rifles are closer to the price of that VTR then $10,000.

Maybe its time for a price increase if guys are getting this kind of money for their custom rifles.

Interesting looking rifle. I have no doubt it will shoot well with taylored loads, good luck with it and have fun with it.

Your preference of rifles aside, I garantee if you had the chance to shoot SS7mm's rifle just one time your opinion would DRAMTICALLY change, especially if you were shooting it at 1000 yards, which is what its designed for. Less recoil then your VTR and vastly superior reach at long range and terminal performance.

Just mentioning this because you insulted me again by calling one of my rifles a pimp rifle........

I used to think different of you, that is changing FAST.

Kirby Allen(50)

14. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

I really liked this forum. Over the past few weeks it seems like some of you have been really sensitive and posting nasty comments or at least testy comments about and to each other. That gets old fast.

Nothing gets accomplished and it ends up being a waste of time reading the posts. It seems like you have to wade through the personal problems just to get some valuable information. Maybe you guys should just PM each other and keep the posts "nasty comment free". Just a thought.