rem vs savage looking for opinions

The rem is a good gun and you can get it left hand is nice. Im aleft hander to but i always shot right handed guns left handed. Ihave a savage predator i reload for it and get great accuricy even out to 500 yds. Ihave 22=250 and it shoots very well. Good luck on your choice:d

Both shoot. If you are going to build a custom and use the actions I use the Remingtons. I've seen both in customs that shot really GREAT, but you cant put a Jewell trigger on a Savage.:D

I have a Savage Predator in 22-250. Amazing accuracy. I have bunch of Remingtons and they won't touch this Savage. Even with cheap K Mart Reminton 55gr soft points at $8 a box, it shoots .25 MOA. Got a 4.5x14x40 Leupold VX3 with a B/C Reticle that is good to 500 yards........deadly on the coyotes. The Accutrigger is excellent.

Since everyone started saying Savages shoot great I thought I would try a few. So far I've shot one savage and two Steven's. The Stevens are just plain bad. They wouldn't shoot good and the trigger pull is the worst I've seen in 30 plus years of shooting. The Savage was better but wouldn't hold a candle to any of the Remington 700's I've shot and the trigger was not even close to the lastest XMark Pro factory trigger out of the box.

You hear much about the stock Reminging uses, but if you think that is bad try shooting a Steven's. Both I've shot from this year the stocks were soft and one was warps and touching the barrel.

I keep wanting the Savages to do well, but so far I truely can say they do. In fact one I shot in 243 splits the case necks on factory rounds. I'm guessing it needs to go back to the factory.

On the Remington side...I've not found one yet in 223, 22-250, or 243 that won't shoot a one hole group at 100 yards.

It sure would be nice if they can get those $300 Stevens to shoot though. Believe it or not I'm trying to be nice to Savage.

I own one rem700 in 308win, it's and older model before the x-mark trigger i replaced the stock one with a jewel and i can shoot dime to quarter size groups at 200yd all day. I own two ruger m77 one in 243 the other is 7rem mag, replaced the stock triggers which are **** with timney and haven't looked back since.
I've shot several savages with the accutrigger and properly adjusted, they are pretty good.
As to your question about scopes for the money a nikon is hard to beat, I have three rifles which wear them and i absolutely love them. My ar in 223 has a nikon predator special 4.5-14x40 and for the ranges i shoot it's perfect. The predator bdc is great, if you plan on target shooting for groups I'd get the regular duplex or a milldot. The bdc in the predator is great for fast shots, and accurate but not great for just target shooting. I have placed 2nd in a few three gun matches using that rifle and scope combo but, shots inside 50yd 4.5x is just too much... If you watch you can get nikon monarch in 2.5-10 for about $350 and they are great scopes

Buy what you like you have to live with it. Some guns feel great in my hands & some the balance is all wrong in the end it's what you like. Most rifles with a little trigger work & bedding will out shoot most people abilitys. Most of us could use more practice at shooting.

I have been looking for awhile at the model 10 in 260. Lots of opinions out there, most say they are real shooters out of the box. My problem is I don't really like the way they look. It's something with the way the bolt sticks out the back. I did shoulder one the other day and it seemed like it was heavy on the front. The other thing is having it customized down the road, most smiths work on rem's not sure about Savage's. You will just have to do what you want, if you don't like what you get trade it for something else.

It all comes down to what you like best, remingtons are modded most often i believe. I'm seeing the base models around KY for right around $500 now and they can just about all be re-worked. Parts are priced about the same for all of them and any reputable gunsmith should work on almost any bolt gun around. If you're dead set on either rem or savage just compare them side by side and see which feels better to you. There are all diff types of each brand in most of the same calibers. Just handle them all and see which you prefer, for me the best handling lightest rifle I've picked up lately is a kimber 84m classic in 243, my buddy just picked on up this wk and it ways absolutely nothing. In the end it comes down to what you like best, if you buy one rifle and shoot it a while you can always sell or trade it off and buy another. In any case remington and savage are both making excellent products and you can't go wrong if you choose them.

I was looking for a new coyote gun a few years ago. Same as you I was limiting myself to 500yrds. I ended up with a Rugar Predator in 22-250 and put a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50 scope with varmint reticle on it. It has been one heck of a coyote gun for me. I have killed my fair share the last couple of years. My longest shot on a coyote was 435yrds. Some rabbits evern further. This combination has filled my needs.

That being said if I were to do it all over again I would have bought the Savage. I found this article Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget. Now I am on this forum always looking for info from guys that know. I bought my first Savage Weather Warrior in 7mmRM back in 09 and it has shot great. Haven't done anything to it but add a scope. Its already killed a handfull of deer and elk. Now I am wanting more so I bought another Savage Weather Warrior in .243 with every intension of swapping out the barrel for a 6.5 Creedmoor. Read how easy a swap is with the Savage and wanted to try. I am finished with my first barrel swap with a CBI Barrel from Northland Shooter Supply. It was too easy. I even bedded the action for the first time. Now I am waiting on a scope so I can go shoot it. This is going to be my longrange coyote/target gun and maybe antelope if I ever get drawn.

Last edited by a moderator:
My main coyote rifle is a Stevens 223 and it shoots. 5 moa with the cheap wolf ammo. Blasted a yote at 210yds yesterday while scouting for my buddies javelina hunt

I am a Remington user, and fan, I am also left-handed. If you want this to use as a basis for a custom build later, I would go with a Remington, for a few reasons. If you are wanting to keep this rifle in stock form a Savage gives you a better chance at .75 moa with factory loads. If you don't handload choose a cartridge carefully, the 6mm gives you very few options to find something your rifle likes. Some cartridges have precision ammo loaded for them from the factory and some don't. Ask yourself how far you are planning to carry your rifle, because "synthetic" stocks offer weight reduction through Chaiwanese crapstic, but the weakened accuracy of that option will show up in field conditions beyond 300 yards. You should see about 20-50 fps difference for every inch of barrel, results vary for several reasons. Action can be up-close and personal when hunting predators, dedicated long range rigs aren't nimble and can cost you dogs. Shooting coyote sized targets out to 500 yards is significantly harder than 400 yards, where you have long range coyote hunting you generally have wind - 22's will struggle unless they are purpose built to this application. I don't know your capabilities, your access to tools, or your budget. If you prefer a LH rifle, options are pretty limited. If I were in your position I would buy a used LH rifle in 243 with a wood stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts