rem vs savage looking for opinions

pikergolf

Hey guys am looking for a coyote rifle for up to 500 yrds. leaning heavily to .243. So... savage model 10 predator with 22 in. barrel or Rem 700 sps varminter with 26.in barrel. Am left handed which the rem can do but it's not a biggy. Accuracy is a biggy though. How much more velocity can I gain with 26.in barrel. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have the rem sps varmint heavy barrel in .243 and like it alot! I have beena rem guy for many years! The action is tough to beat the new accu trigger is great and the .243 is a great coyote round to that 500+ yard mark! It also comes with a 1- 9 1/8th twist and will shoot bullets at 70 or above really good! I shoot 80 grain nosler bal tips and at 200 yards I get less than 1" and that is factory everything! The added barrel will gain you some FPS and the heavy barrel is a nice solid platform to shoot from! The 4" should gain you 30-60 fps over a smaller barrel gun.

I would use either nosler or laupua brass as I have found them to be superior over standard brass and the nosler brass save alot of time just prime it and load it! Good stuff getting harder to find as it sells out fast! Good luck with what ever you decide!

Although I don't have a .243, my Rem SPS varmint in .308 has excellent accuracy. I would go with the Remington. You just can't beat their accuracy and dependability when the time comes to blast something. Although Im younger, I have been around Remington my entire life and I have found nothing that can beat them. Go with the Remington, you won't be sorry!

Last edited:
pikergolf,

Out to 500 yards with that cartridge I don't think barrel length is an issue. As you mentioned though, accuracy is the biggie.

The shorter barrel 'may' be helpful for convenience and making a close running shot.

Your kind of playing the lottery when it comes to picking a accurate factory rifle but I think the odds are in your favor. I've been a remmy fella for a long time but my next factory rifle will be a savage or even a stevens.

Just my 0.02s worth.

Hey guy's , thanks for taking time to respond I apprecciate yor opinions.
Still mulling over options. Found a 700 vls in 6mm for 800 canadian on the net,hmm Denis

Either one will be a great choice. The 30-60 fps difference from barrel length will not be noticed by the yote.
NOW...you have to get a scope. You'll get a lot more comments on scope choice.

Either one will be a great choice. The 30-60 fps difference from barrel length will not be noticed by the yote.
NOW...you have to get a scope. You'll get a lot more comments on scope choice.
:) Ok I'll ask what is the best scope at a reasnable price. I've been checking out the bushnell 3200 but there website is not layed out that well I don't know what any of the reticle's look like and I don't have a clue what an adjustable objective is? Denis

Use to own a lot of Remingtons until I and Remington went around the block a couple of times on a couple of new varmint rigs some 15 years ago. Somehow that 2" grouping guarantee just did not cut it in my opinion at a hundred yards.

For $300. a Stevens made by Savage in 22-250 or 243 would and has been my best bang for the buck purchase. Out of the box they shoot as good as it gets from a mass produced gun, better than most! Barrels are quick to change and one doesn't need to pay anyone to do it for them if one gets tired of one caliber or burns that 22-250 barrel out shooting prairie rats.

Just another opinion

Neal

Ok a few more questions? I can't get a savage in 243 left handed, but if I buy the model 12vlp left in 22-250 and decide i really do want the 243 do I only have to change the barrel or does the bolt need the face changed to? How much would an aftermarket 243 or better yet 6mm Rem. run me? And I'm still open to scope suggestions . Thanks Denis

Same bolt head for 22-250 and 243 Win as is the 6mm Remington. Google northlandshooterssupply in Minnesota. Think he is sell McGowen barrels @ $269. ready to thread on in most any caliber for the Savage/STevens.

Neal

Did you ever decide on a scope.
I have bought 2 off of the Optics For Sale forum. The last one is a Bushnell 4200 mil dot with target turrets. It is mounted on a Remington SPS in .243. Wicked accurate!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.