Rem 700 XCR Tactical Long Range

Browning Boy

I am wanting to get into the long range gang, I just ordered one of these rifles from the gunstore in 300 WM. Does anyone have any experience with this rifle. Are they shooters? This rifle will double as a moose and elk gun as well. Thanks for any feedback!

Its kind of late to be asking those kinds of questions. You've already bit the bullet.;)

It'll do for what you want.

Stoke it with a heavy for bore bullet and reach on out there after you get practiced a bit.

Well I've only ordered it for closer inspection, I haven't payed for it yet. My gunstore will order things for you and not hold you to the purchase, they can't expect you to buy something if you've never seen it before. I'm getting the rifle for the same price as the 700P so for the extras I would be getting I didn't think it was to bad a deal????????

not to slam your rifle but if you are willing to pack the extra weight of the p i would go with that. I had a 300pss and it was one of the best shooting factory rifles I have ever had. Nothing compared to a cooper but it was also twice the cartridge in half the price of gun. Generally right around .5MOA.

Why the P though? Does it shoot better? What does it have that the XCR doesn't. They are both tactical rifles so they both should shoot no????

I have a friend that has a XCR and the one he has will flat out shoot. While working up his first load he got lucky and found one that would shoot in .4's consistantly and sometimes in the .2's. Half inch group was the worst group that it shot while working the load. I've never seen a factory gun shoot as good as this thing. I'm not saying they will all shoot this good because most of the time its the luck of the draw with factory guns.
David

I have the xcr in the hunting version and it shoots 1/2" groups with factory Winchester ammo. I just picked up some Berger's and going to start to load for it.

I'm pretty sure the XCR tactical and the 700P are using the same 5.5 contour factory barrels. The vanilla XCR's use a hunting taper barrel. The only difference is going to be the stock. In my opinion the HS precision factory stock sucks hard (I've got one and am speaking from experience) but overall the 700P is a terrific gun for the money. Never man-handled the XCR tac stock so no info for ya there.

Buy whichever ones cheaper then toss a Mcm, Manners or AI stock/chassis on it at a later date.

I would say the stock on these is as good as the HS stocks. It may not be as heavy duty as the McMillan but work just fine. it has teh same bedding block as the HS stocks. The whole package together is better than the police, sendero or the 5r.

It has all the best features. stainless, fluted, good coating, 40x trigger and a stock as good as the HS. if you get any better you would have to go to a 40x which is double the price.

I've been shooting one for about 2 years now. It shoots as good as I can expect from a factory rifle, usually averages 0.5 to 0.75 moa groups (if you do your part). As far as facotry ammo, mine will shoot the plain jane Rem Core Lokts 150 grain extremely well. I have worked up a good load using 180 grain Sierra GK over 74.0 grains of H100, WW Brass, CCI BR2, just off the lands. For what ever reason, it seems to like 150 grain bullets or 180 grain, but all of the 165's I have tried didn't work out.

As far as the rifle, I love the 40x trigger, very smooth. The stock is pretty nice, although I wish the comb was higher. Of course you could add a cheek piece. Overall, it has been a great rifle that has killed many deer and hogs.

The only thing I have done to it is dip the stock in a digital pattern.

Rifle3.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.