Rem 700 RUM Experts . . .

lckytylr

Any Rem 700 RUM experts out there?

I have been doing some snooping around on LRH and other google searches, but I can't seem to determine the cause and solution to my problem.

I bought a used Rem 700 with a 7mm RUM barrel on it. It does NOT have a floor plate, it's top feed only. I can't get it to cycle rounds, I really can't even get it to load 3 bullets with any consistency. I know that it's imperative to ensure that the rounds are fully seated rearward, which I do, but that doesn't seem to help. I started looking online and I noticed that my magazine well box doesn't have a triangular cutout that other RUM's have. When I can get it loaded with a few rounds, they don't always load into the chamber, they nose up, they double feed, the bolt overshoots and doesn't collect a new round . . . it's SOOOOO sporadic.

The first time I disassembled it, I noticed that my stock has been pillar bedded and has a metal band on both sides of the magazine well. Doesn't look like a factory stock to me, other than the exterior contour looks the same.

Soooooo, any ideas here of what I have. I'm concerned that I have a standard action that someone fitted a RUM barrel to. What REALLY sucks is that I bought a 300 RUM barrel to put on this gun, AFTER I put 25 + hours of paint work into the stock. I REALLY don't want to abandon this stock . . . in fact that's not an option, so if needed, I'll have to figure out how to modify it to make it work. I have considered that maybe this stock can be used as is for a smaller standard action caliber, but I really don't have a use for a different caliber or budget for it right now. This gun was supposed to be my one and only go-to big game rifle and I'm not willing to compromise on a smaller caliber, it's RUM or nothing.

Please help, any suggestions or information would be appreciated. Thanks.

I Think your on the right track thinking that the action/magwell is for a standard cartridge. Its not a big deal to take it to a smith and he can open it up, in which case you may want to order yourself a wyatts extended mag and have it fitted so that when you re-barrel you can run 230 bergers long.

you can order the rum magwell from rem country store if it's in stock if I'm not mistaken... Check out Midway and Brownells too.

Check out your action dimensions vs. a factory rum one also; the feed rails (? terminology) may be rather narrow on your rifle if it was a standard mag. action and you may need machining there. The bolt and outside of the action will be the same dimensions.

If the mag box doesn't have triangular cut outs in it it is the wrong one.

Someone may have switched stocks and had to use an ADL mag box (It is taller than a BDL Box)

If it has been re-barreled It could have been a different caliber and feeding could/will be a problem.

You can look on midway under "gun parts by brand" and see what the mag box looks like.

J E CUSTOM

Never heard of a RUM in ADL but who knows. Most of my projects end up ADL so I could see someone wanting it. If you have vernier just measure widths of receiver cutout at steps and length to same. Easily enough verified if someone opened it but could not find a box suitable.
Money well spent after your efforts would be to ship to a reputable smith with barreled action, 3 dummy rounds with bullets of your choice and a check for some light machining and a wyatts box. It comes back to you working better than you could hope for throwing darts and removing your hair by the fistful...

M

Sounds like very sound advice Marksman66, I'm REALLLLLY considering a Wyatt's and smithing, but it's going to be an awfully difficult "sell" to my Wife.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.