Rem 700 Recoil Lug

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by 13point, Jan 1, 2012.

1. 13point

13point Well-Known Member

Which Recoil Lug do you guy like to use for 700 builds? I think this is the last part I need to decide on for my 6.5x47 build. I read where some like tapered lugs and some are totally against them. I would just like to get some info. to help me decide.

Thanks

2. tayhot

tayhot Well-Known Member

Tubbs oversized

3. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

The Tubb recoil lug is a great choice. I used the Holland lug for my 338RUM build & am pleased as well. Some 'smiths build their own lugs, talk to your smith, they can provide some fantastic info based on their experience.

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Lugs that are tapered can be removed easier than the strait ones but there is no difference in
    the accuracy potential unless you remove the action a lot. then the tapered one does less damage
    to the bedding.

The main thing to look for is a surface ground lug that is precise. I prefer a .200 or a .225 thick
    lug because of the stock. (Any thicker and you have to remove to much stock material in the
    recoil recess to make room for the heaver/thicker ones and they are not nessary because most
    factory lugs are .187 and strong enough but not ground flat/true.

Some people like the .250 thick lug and that is the thickest I would use under any circumstance.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

5. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

I prefer the factory lug, I just lap them to true if necessary, using a diamond flat plate. If you have an air compressor repair facility nearby, they will surface lap it for you for very little money.

6. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

I am using Hollands. I use his jig for pinning them too.

7. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

factory!!!