• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Rem 700 LH shooter RH action wanting new stock

Gerald1755

I'm looking for some help/suggestions for a stock. I have a Remington 700 in 300 win mag right hand action. I'm a left hand shooter I would like to replace the original sps stock and would like to go with something that might be more favorable to a left handed shooter (cheek weld) Gun will be used mainly for hunting and a little bench shooting. I say little because my shoulder still hurts from the last trip out. Thanks for any advice and info.

Several ways to address the issue. As always, price/cost may determine which ones are appropriate for you. First is stock fit. IF you can handle different rifles with different style stocks, you will eventually figure out that you prefer a certain style/design of stock. I can't help you with what fits good/feels good, to you. Second is recoil pad. The "Limb Saver" recoil pads are generally considered to be one of the softer, more comfortable recoil pads on the market. If you can find a replacement pad for your SPS stock ? Or a replacement stock with a Limb Saver pad ? Finally weight of the stock. Adding a stock that weighs more increases rifle weight and will reduce perceived recoil.

Ideal world, buy a Left Hand McMillan stock inlet for a Right Hand action with a Limb Saver recoil pad. if you really like to shoot from a bench, you can have McMillan add extra weight to the stock to dampen recoil. Downside is $500 and up to 6 months lead time.

IF you like the look of wood, a laminated stock from Boyds Stocks will add a little weight (laminated stocks are heavier than plastic stocks) and can be ordered with a Limb Saver recoil pad. Boyds also offers Left Hand stocks already inlet for right hand actions to address your issue with cheek weld. Best part, base price is generally around a $100 + upgrades, and lead time is about a week for most stocks.

Finally, if you like to tinker, you could always try modifying your current SPS stock by replacing the recoil pad, and/or adding weight by filling the fore arm with epoxy and lead shot.

Good luck with your project....

Get a L.H. gun............ shooting a R.H. gun is dangerous for a L.H. shooter.Too much open area in the bolt raceway.

Thanks Orion. I hadn't heard of Boyd's until you mentioned. I did go to their website and liked a couple of the options they offer. I think their classic stock may be what im looking for I'm not a big fan of the wood grain but I'm sure I could take care of that with some coating/paint or dipping. They may even offer a black finish. I'll have to do more checking.
I also like the idea of tinkering with the original stock for reduced recoil. It would not be a major loss if i didnt like the results of any mods as i wouldnt mind replacing the stock anyway. My biggest curiosity is with the cheek piece. I have always shot LH with a RH stock and have never had the raised cheek area.

I haven't shot the rifle for quite some time. When I first shot it, it was not grouping very well. After trial and error I finally figured out I had a issue with the scope. Had to send back to Leupold to be worked. Now remounted and dialed in, it is shooting very well and has me excited again about improving even more. First objective....make it more comfortable to shoot.

Thanks again

First recommendation: Buy a LH rifle.

Second recommendation: If your stock is wood sand off the cheek piece and whatever else you need to make it fit. Use a stock pack or tape and foam padding to alter the stock for your purposes. You're throwing away money if you buy another stock.

Just an observation: A LH stock is not going to make your shoulder hurt less. Sounds like the recoil of that 300 might be the issue, more so than the stock. Maybe a muzzle break would be a better $150 upgrade than a new stock.

I realize a LH stock is not going to reduce recoil. The purpose or consideration of a new stock in LH is for position and comfort. Also if I want to fit a Recoil pad and possibly bed the stock then I would rather do that on a better stock than the stock sps.
As far as buying a LH rifle....well, after about 38 years of shooting a RH action I kinda got used to it and like it.

From your post above, it is not clear to me if your SPS comb is too high and you need to lower it ? Or, it is too low and you need to raise it ?

If it is too low, you could try something a stock pack as mentioned above. Or, install a Karsten's adjustable cheek piece (link below). The Karsten piece will allow you to infinitely raise/lower/adjust the cheek weld to a height that is comfortable for you. If you slant the adjustable cheek piece forward (ala Weatherby), it will cause the comb to drop away from your cheek during recoil instead of rising up and "slapping" your cheek.

If the comb is too high, as mentioned above, get a wood stock and gradually remove wood from the comb until it is comfortable for you. Another advantage to the wood and laminate stocks is that most folks can sand/grind/file to their heart's content until they come up with a shape that is to their liking...

Regardless of what route you take, good luck with your project.

Karsten Adjustable Cheekrest

Gerald-

I have a an HS Precision off of a Rem 700 Sendero, I am wanting to sell. I think that most people would agree they are nice stocks. It is inleted for a RH gun but the rear of the stock is a straight comb without a cheek piece on either side, making it really ambidextrous.
It would also solve your bedding problem as they have an Aluminum block in them already. I was just going to drop the price to $275 shipped. If you are interested, let me know.

Attachments

• DSC_6501.JPG
    DSC_6501.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 5
Hey Redneck,
Would that stock work with my "pencil" barrel? Is your sendero a heavy barrel? I guess the aluminum block stock doesn't require/need bedding....is that correct?

I bought the Boyds stock and really like it. It fits very good and looks good on the rifle.

Orion, thanks for the info. The comb on my current stock may be a little low. I like the karsten-Adjustable-Cheekrest but not sure if it would mount well to the right hand stock with the raised cheek piece I have been looking at some wood stocks but have noticed that some say that a magnum action should not be put in a regular long action stock. Is that true? Do I need to find a magnum stock or would any bdl stock work?

Thanks

... The comb on my current stock may be a little low...
That's the usual case. The Karsten would probably work O.K. Some guys have good luck with a stock pack and then just keep adding foam rubber under it until you get the right height.

Definitely no issue with magnums in McMillan or HS Precision stocks. Have not heard of any issues with a magnum in a Boyd's laminated stock. Just make sure everything fits properly and all the screws are properly tightened.