Rem 700 LA

Troy

What would a blued Rem 700 LA BDL be worth? The lugs have been lapped, the bolt face trued up, and the recoil lug is pinned?

To me, I would be inclined to say that it's worth actully less trued than not. If you are reasonably certain that it is a good job, then you could say it's worth more than a stock one. A new one can be had for $375 and you'll have a brand new barrel that you could sell for $20, a stock for $35-40 and will have a trigger and misc parts left over. This is of course bargain prices so things move. You have to go from there to see what You think it's worth. Depending on the application, You may still want to re-true it. A decent gun can be built on it without a lot of work though, or any work from where it's sitting.

Thanks. I am certain that what was done to the action was done right. I have to decide whether I want to put more money into the action by sleeving it or cut my losses now and go with a custom.

Troy

Depends on what you plan on doing with it and what expectations you have.

As far as very accurate hunting or tactical type gun will work great probably.

However, for large magnums or 1k br gun, then when you add up the costs and extras and compare to a custom. They will both cost almost the same and the 700 will have half the resale.

Lot of 700s are great 1k guns, but most sleeved or in barrel bedding blocks but not all. A 700 will never be dual port, as fast or smoooth as a good custom action and sometimes that can make the difference in a match.

But to show that is not always the key point, the first guy to reach 100 match points in the IBS 1000 yard, shoots a Whitworth Mauser 98 action and a model 70. Go figure.

You could probably sell a trued 700 for around $400-450 depending on exactly what was done and by who and that is top $.

BH

[ 03-11-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

My intentions are to build a heavy long range bench gun that can be used for long range accuracy work. I want weight to be around 20lbs so it can be shot without a brake and have little recoil. Stock is going to be a Tooley MBR with lead fill and then a contour like 1.250 for 6" and straight taper to about 1.050 at 30". Pretty sure I am going to chamber it in 7mm WSM but just neck up .270 WSM Norma brass.

My options are to sleeve a Rem 700 LA action or to buy another custom. I do really love my 8.5" BAT and would like to own another. If money was no object I would not even entertain the sleeved Rem but I also do not want to sacrifice accuracy to save a little money.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts