Rem 700 LA action question

Citation7

Can anyone advise as to what parts interchangeability there is between a Rem 700 LA in a RUM cal and a Rem 700 LA in standard magnum cal? Bolt/ face diameter a given, but is the mag box/follower/bottometal the same for example? If not is there a receiver metal/profile difference? I note that extended mag boxes (from say Wyatt's) require relieving of the mag box mortice and mod'ing the bolt face stop to work correctly. Bottomline, I am wanting to remake a former 300WM LA with a new RUM barrel/bolt and looking for gotcha's before I jump much farther. Thanks for any insight and advise you can offer!

The receiver body is a little different width in the magazine well area though it can be opened up with a few strokes of a flat file. See if your 300 Rum brass will drop through.

I've converted a 7mm Rem mag 700 BDL to 300 Rum BDL. It wasn't difficult with hand tools but it wasn't drop in. I did buy a 300 Rum mag box and follower. I'm planning to replace the Rem mag box with a Wyatts extended magazine box. . A 3.6" magazine is very cramped for a 300 RUM if you want to shoot heavy or low drag bullets. Doing the conversion takes two short cuts with a milling machine. See WYATT'S OUTDOOR, INC.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.