REM 700 front sight post

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Steel Rain, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Steel Rain

Steel Rain Well-Known Member

Hey fellas. I have a Remington 700 7RM that I inherited. I want to change the stock and coat the action and barrel with a yet to be determined finish. The weapon shoots well as is . However I just want to clean it up a bit. The barrel has a front sight post on it that I would like to remove. Is this possible without damaging the barrel? I google searched on this site but didn't come up with any definite answer for a Remmy. I've also browsed other forums but find LRH to be my best resource for info. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a good one.

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

I think depending on the model they are glued/epoxied or brazed in place. If there is no screw and no dove tail I think your going to have to heat it up. But dont do that till you hear from some other guys first.

3. Steel Rain

There is one obvious screw that I have taken out. I have yet to tap the dovetail sight post out. I have read that you are to tap in a particular direction. Once the sight is tapped out there is another screw to be removed I think (I've read). I haven't done it because I didn't know which part might be brazed in. I just wasn't sure if I should just let a gunsmith take care of it or if it is something I can tackle. Thanks for your reply.

4. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Well best of luck maybe post a pic so the guys gan see what you got for sure

5. Nimrodmar10

Nimrodmar10 Well-Known Member

There is in fact another screw under the front sight post in the dovetail cut. The dovetail is tapered so should come out in the correct direction. I don't remember the direction off the top of my head but you can measure the slot or cut and drive the post toward the larger side with a brass punch. You can fill the holes with regular 6-48 filler screws from the scope base holes in the action.

6. Steel Rain

Will get some pics up this weekend. Thanks for the replies.

7. Sighter

Sighter Well-Known Member

Tap it out from the left side to the right. (your left as if you were holding the rifle).

Use a brass punch on the top portion of the site at the dovetail and support the site base with a piece of hardwood to avoid damage to the parts. Might want to spray some penetrating oil on it first if it has been on there a long while.

8. Steel Rain

Thanks Sighter. I was going to post some pics but it sounds like you've done it before. Haven't had a chance to get to it. Work and family have kept me busy. Have a good one!