Rem. 700 fires when safety is used!

John-Pure Precision

LRH Sponsor
Shooting my 300 Dakota I got from a member off this site fires when safet is set off of safe. The rifle has been a dream to shoot and is everything I want in a long range hammer. I have done some research and sounds like a ongoing problem, will Remington pay for a new trigger assembly? Good thing I use safe rifle handling, could have easily turned out bad. Good thing I'm leaving on a hunt tomorrow.... By the way the rifle just started doing this today, now it does it every time the safety is used.

Most likely the trigger is set either too light on the spring tension or the sear engagement. I doubt Remington would pay for squat since it's not a factory original rifle.

Sounds like the safety parts are wore-out to me. It happens over time with lots of safety use. I hardly ever use safety unless I'm climbing up to or down the stand ladder, or I'm ridin in the truck. Other than that, my rifles rarely see safety.

This should fix the issue...

Timney Rifle Trigger Remington 700 40X Safety 1-1/2 to 4 lb Blue

And like Idaho said....Not a factory rifle that's been tinkered with, doubt Remington will fix it for free. And even if they did put a new trigger in it, it would be one of those *** X-Mark Pro triggers....You'd be better off just buying an aftermarket trigger.

Sear engagement is not enough or there is a negative sear angle, either way, NOT SAFE, do not use until you get the problem corrected.

If you can afford it, invest in a jewell drop in trigger and you will be very happy. Anyway you go, have it installed properly and function tested.

Also would like to add, NEVER depend on a safety, they are mechanical items and mechanical items fail, NEVER put your life or anyones life in that situation, never rely on a safety to keep you out of trouble, keep that rifle unloaded until your ready to shoot.

I think the trigger is set too light...I did this with a Rem 700 .222.. then I backed up the adjustment by 3/4 of a pound or so and problem solved.

I have heard but not seen for myself that dust, grit and grime can cause the safety to cause such a problem. Maybe something is caught in the mechanism. Worth a look and a wipedown.

The rifle I am speaking of was a rem700 7mmrm that the owner finally did a major clean and lube and his rifle quit "firing" when the safety was moved to the fire position. You never know.

Sear engagement is not enough or there is a negative sear angle, either way, NOT SAFE, do not use until you get the problem corrected.

If you can afford it, invest in a jewell drop in trigger and you will be very happy. Anyway you go, have it installed properly and function tested.

Also would like to add, NEVER depend on a safety, they are mechanical items and mechanical items fail, NEVER put your life or anyones life in that situation, never rely on a safety to keep you out of trouble, keep that rifle unloaded until your ready to shoot.

I will Amen that also.

Unless a person is an expert with triggers It is best not to mess with them.

The best thing to do is get an aftermarket trigger pre set at the factory.

The Jewell comes with 3 different springs that range from 1.5 once to 3 pounds
and has an extra link for safety @ low settings and can be adjusted with the stock
on the barreled action.

Caution: never adjust the sear without the proper gages and required specifications

J E CUSTOM

I hear you on not relying on the safety, I use a eberlystock pack and never have one in the tube. I never thought about internals wearing out, a smith in town had a Jewell trigger he is putting in tonight, I will verify zero in the morning and be off! All ways wanted a Jewell on a a rifle. Thanks for all the replies, I never experienced this before

I've had that happen with unmodified Remington triggers, and seen it in others. One cause is getting to much of the wrong kind of lube, it gets cold, or accumulates a bit of grime and it will fire when the safety is pushed forward. The aftermarkets are a step in the right direction, I've also used the Gentry 3 position safety with success. Installation is a bit trickier than advertised, it's not a substitute for muzzle control, but a better mechanical safety in my opinion.

My trigger finger is my safety. :D In all seriousness, I have heard of Remingtons doing this before. There was a report on CNBC about it call "Remington Under Fire". I doubt they will fix it though since you do have custom components. The article is upsetting since the people affected were not practicing the proper firearm handling procedures, but that was not taken into account.

I had a similar problem with a 700 Rem. I set the trigger during the summer down to 2lbs. Safety worked fine and rifle cocked fine. Took off on a hunting trip in the winter and left the rifle in my truck over night when the temps got down into the twenties. Got up to go hunting the next morning and the rifle would not cock. Metal shrinkage of the engagements from the cold was enough to cause the problem. When the rifle warmed up it would cock. I had to readjust the trigger and increase it to 2 1/2 lbs and all was fine.

Never trust a safety. It it a mechanical device that CAN FAIL.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.