Rem 700 ADL budget rebarrel ideas?

.280 AI is what I would do. I went 7-08 AI because I prefer the short action. No brass trimming, plenty of velocity, awesome selection of bullets. I like the barnes TSX for hunting (140 or 120gr) and the 162 A-Max for practice. I used a .280 for a number of years and never found it lacking. .280 AI vs. elk.......hope you have room in the freezer.

For a light weight stock on a budget, get one of the old Remington TI stocks. They can be had for $150-175. They are a mtn. rifle contour but are easily opened up to fit the larger sporter or even the magnum. I have several and like them very much.
Good luck with your project....should'nt be hard to make a great rifle out of the worn out ADL.

Last edited:
I went 7-08 AI because I prefer the short action. No brass trimming, plenty of velocity, awesome selection of bullets. I like the barnes TSX for hunting (140 or 120gr) and the 162 A-Max for practice.

How much velocity increase did you see? What kind of velocities are you currently getting with the 162's? Tell me more about your rifle please and loads.

Tank

Velocity increase is only about 80-100 FPS since I went the AI route. I have several other 7mm-08's and wanted to do something different with this one. Case life has been excellent and I do like not having to trim the brass. The rifle in question is a 1st gen Remington TI with a factory 22" tube. I had the AI done 5 years ago.
I am getting 2950 fps out of the 140 TSX with a max load of h414. I haven't put the 162 A max over the chrony yet so I don't know what the velocity of those are. I have only been shooting them for a few months but I am impressed with there accuracy and BC. I haven't shot them out past 350yds yet but will get to it here soon.
I think if you like to handload and have something a little different I think the AI is a good way to go. For the casual hunter/shooter wouldn't be worth the effort. When the barrel goes out on this TI it will be replaced with another 7-08AI.

Sitka Blacktail from last NOV.

P1010469.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I would be interested in hearing the velocity with the 162's. Keep us posted if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance,
Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.