Rem 700 action for 338 Lapua

gunsmith1012

Hello all. This is a post just for looking for an opinion on a build. First let me state i am not new to the lapua round this would be my third lapua and i was shooting them before most people knew what i was talking about in the TRG line in the mid 90's. So here it goes i want one i the 700 action. I have long actions at my disposal and i have a TUBB long action bolt blueprinted with .590 bolt face and a tubb improved verison of the sako extractor. I don't see any disadvantages using this setup for a single shot 50# gun. Pressure levels in the lapua are not close to danger level in the action or the bolt thrust area. With that being said what do you think of the build. Is it worth is, because i just can't seem to justify a custom action for a $1000 when i will never shot competition with a 338 diameter bullet only hunt long range with it. Also i am not new to long range shooting, only this forum i general say between 800-1200 yards for varmit and deer size game. thanks of the input.

I am not a fan of the lapua on a 700 action but its not a problem with the bolt assembly that you have, you may consider a 110ba or 110fcp savage action designated to the lapua.

Thanks for the first responce. I would not be considering anything from the savage line although the newer actions do seem to be excellant in quality compared to years past. I would be in a debate between the factory 700 or a direct replacement action like stiller. I have used BAT and Nesika Bay actions in the past but those were more comp than hunting and this is going to be a dedicated hunting gun.

Thanks for the first responce. I would not be considering anything from the savage line although the newer actions do seem to be excellant in quality compared to years past. I would be in a debate between the factory 700 or a direct replacement action like stiller. I have used BAT and Nesika Bay actions in the past but those were more comp than hunting and this is going to be a dedicated hunting gun.

If you have the actual choice between a M700 and a Stiller action....by all means go with the Stiller!!!

I have a 338 Lapua on a 700 action and have 0 issues with it. its a tack driving machine. Mine is a repeater so the feed rails had to be opened slightly and the ejection port had to be modified slightly so I can eject a live round without taking the bolt out.But you stated you were going to do single shot and already have the bolt for it so I dont see any issues at all. I kind of with mine was single shot because I never use the magazine I could have saved some money. Good Luckgun)

The Stiller Tac is a big action I built my 338 Norma on a Pierce single shot and it uses the .700 bolt same as a Rem no issues.

thanks for the replies and that a nice rig there tikkamike. I'm a Remington guy so i want to use the 700 action and i also have 5 of them laying around. I just wanted to hear from guys that have them and know the experence with them. keep the ideas coming. i have a 34" Lilja 1.250 SS barrel for the project and a MacMillian MBR stock so far. The action is the last of the commitment.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.