Rem 700 6.5x47L build

LongRangeLapua

I was browsing my local gun shop last week, just looking around, not even thinking about purchasing anything. I saw some nice rifles. One stood out pretty well. A Remington 700 in 7mm-08. Had a 22in sporter barrel, that had the near open sight taken off, but the front one left on. It was an older one, but still had a good action on it, a jewelled bolt, and it came with some junky old Bushnell scope on it, in crap rings and bases. But then I noticed the stock, it felt extremely nice and textured. So I flip it over to look at the butt pad and it said "McMillan" on it. I ran a Benjamin under the barrel to check for free-floated, and it checked out. I was like wow, a nice McMillan stock, i wonder how much they want for this thing. I flipped the price tag over and it read $550! I promptly took it over to the counter and asked the guy if the stock was really a McMillan, he said it was and then went on about how nice of stocks they are (i already know...). I went home and thought about it, then i started researching short action 6.5calibers, and came across the 6.5x47L. Then the juicies really started flowing, i started dreaming about what id do to it, what barrel id get, what glass to put up top. So then my friend offered me $250 for my old Rem 770 .308, and i was like i'll take that and throw it down on that 7mm-08 and use it as a donor action and stock! So i went back grabbed the rifle, threw $250 down on it, and put it on lay-away till October. But ill be back the end of next week to pick it up...I bought some BoreTech Eliminator to clean the barrel up and a Hoppes cold blue kit as the barrel has some places that needs a touch up or two.

So the project....

I'm going to keep it a 7mm-08 for hunting season. When December rolls around I going to ship it off to Krieger and get a 28" #4 contour 1:8 twist 6.5x47L barrel put on there. Have them true and blueprint my action as well. They told me it'd be a 9 month deal (7 months to make barrel, and 2 to put it on) For optics, I'm going to get a Burris MTAC 6.5-20 on top in Nightforce rings and bases. Will eventually put in a Jewell Trigger too. Thinking i use either 123 scenars or 130 VLDs. I wanna keep it fairly light, so i can use it coyote and deer hunting as well.

All i know is that the coyotes better be ready for a hurting, ahaha :D

I'll post pics as the journey goes along, starting with picking it up next week.

Forget having Krieger do the work for you. Yes, the barrel will work great. My first 6.5x47 has a 1:8.5 MTU contour Krierger barrel and it's a humdinger. I'd order a barrel now, and send all the stuff to Jon Beanland of OK. He will build you a true hummer in the -47. Good choice of bullets but don't over look the 123 MK as well. Start with Varget (36ish gr) and CCI 450's or CCI BR then on to H4350 if need be. Around 40-41 gr for the 130 VLD and H4350. Jam any of the bullets around 10-15 thou.

Enjoy

Alan

Brunos Shooters Supply has Krieger barrels in stock. My friend has a Krieger barrel on his 6.5x47L 29 inch heavy varmint contour. It puts the Berger 140 VLD's in 1 1/4 inch at 500 yds and has shot a couple 5/8 inch groups at 500 also. His Krieger barrel shot so good I bought one for my 6.5 WSM build.
Brunos gets a shipment of Kriegers every week.
At least now you don't have to wait for a barrel.
Tarey

Brunos Shooters Supply has Krieger barrels in stock. My friend has a Krieger barrel on his 6.5x47L 29 inch heavy varmint contour. It puts the Berger 140 VLD's in 1 1/4 inch at 500 yds and has shot a couple 5/8 inch groups at 500 also. His Krieger barrel shot so good I bought one for my 6.5 WSM build.
Brunos gets a shipment of Kriegers every week.
At least now you don't have to wait for a barrel.
Tarey

Amen to that! Waiting on a barrel, stock and the 'smith are the three longest things a person does when building a rifle.

Alan

Been away for awhile, but here in the base gun. It has some type of aftermarket trigger on it, because it breaks around 1lb, and it breaks like a glass rod; something i didn't know when i put it away. It also has a sako extractor on it already which is a plus, and i did not notice that either. McMillan feels great.

37DAFEE3-037D-4AE4-8F92-84FD08E68048-4214-0000031F78756F44.jpg

D2C6A89A-FFC6-41C4-AEC7-2A46078A6FCA-4214-0000031F81223DD0.jpg

1E5E3D35-3CA4-4DE4-A1F9-7F1A32A86D88-4214-0000031F8970546F.jpg

Dated to January 1981. Still haven't figured out where I'll get the work done to get the barrel put on it that i want, I'll probably just send it to Krieger and have them do it, seeing as i want a barrel made to my specs, so it's not like i can go to gunsmithing supply and purchase it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.