Rem 300 Ultra Mag using Sierra 200gr HPBT

I can't help you with the 200 SMK but my 300 RUM with a 1-13" twist likes the 190 with 82grs of H4831SC which isn't a max load. The barrel is a Kreiger, 28" long and has a tight bore. It averages 3100fps and shoots 1/2moa 3 shot groups to 1K.
I'd give the 200's a try with the Sierra load, should shoot well.
Wayne

I'm working on a load for the 300, with the 200 gr SMK. My most consistant load so far is Fed 215 primer, 90.3 gr H1000. Don't have a Chrono, so I don't have any velocity figures on the load. (26" barrel)

I'm going to start experimenting with different primers an seating depth next, to see if I can get it any better.

[ 08-30-2004: Message edited by: NotEnoughTriggerTime ]

Thomas,

You will likely find that Retumbo will give you much better results than H-1000. We find it to be about 150 fps faster than H-1000 at the same pressure and the accuracy is better. Start about 89 grains and work your way up. You will probably find max pressure between 91 and 94 grains of Retumbo with the 200 gr. Sierra
wink.gif

Thats funny, the ones I have built get 3,220 fps. at around 65,000 psi.... read less.....shoot more!
grin.gif

It sucks for whom ever gets hit with one.
wink.gif

My experience with my 300 ultra and Retumbo has not been great. I find that the rifle throws a fireball which means I am not burning all the powder. I have had better luck with R22 and am now working with R25. Just my two cents worth.

Hey S1 How dare you post a great velocity but don't give the load.Whats up with that?I need to put some loads together this weekend for my black bear hunt oct 1st.I just recieved my 200gr accubonds and a pound of Retumbo.I was thinkin of useing H1000,cuase it worked so well with 180 Noslergold partions.But reports of 3,200 with Retumbo,I can't resist.
cool.gif

Iron worker, good point. I tend to put bullets pretty far into the lands, and typically use long Lilja 3 groove barrels, all of which may vary quite a bit from your set up. If you have loaded H-1000 in your rifle, just note that Retumbo will be about 2 grains slower than H-1000 with the same bullet, all other conditions staying the same. Start in a safe place, and work up.

I have to agree with Texas Dave in part.... I have not had great results with bullets lighter than 180 and Retumbo, but Retumbo shines with bullets 200 grains and heavier.

The Nesikas tend to shoot comfortably with a little higher pressure than say my win mod 70, so you have to be careful about trading exact loads. Listen to your rifle's pressure signs and load accordingly.

wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.