Reloder 17 and the 7MM WSM?

Sure wish we had some replies to this thread, especially since this powder was designed for this cartridge!

I am going to start working it up, but the increased velocity may just add to the throat burning capacity of this round without increased accuracy

I loaded some up for my son with the 168 SMK's but haven't made it to the range yet with the crony. I"m sure he will post results once we get some ;-))

I am working up a load with the 168's in my 7wsm. I'm not sure what use it will be, as I shoot it in a 17.5" pistol, but I'm at 61.5gr and getting a little under 2900fps with no pressure signs. I shot 4 shots at different powder charges and none were bigger than 2" @200 yards. I NEED to get it throated longer as I asked my 'smith to cut it shorter so I could easily extract a loaded case... But I'm seating way too much of that bullet in the case! Hopefully I'll be able to shrink the groups down a little:)

I'm waiting on RL 17 to reach the shops here in NZ, still about 2-3 weeks off! When it does I'll be trying it in my 7mm WSM with moly 162gr A Max. Will post results. :)
Has anyone tried Retumbo?

I see lots of posts about how this powder was designed for the wsm cases. From what I understand this mid burning range powder comes from Europe and has been there for years.
I could easily be wrong but doubt they got wound up with the wsm "craze" that we had here and developed it for us and the wsm.
I think alot of cartridges they use over there are candidates for a good "4350 class" powder and that is what this powder we import called re17 really is. Maybe someone can correct my ASSumptions but I think Alliant's advertising is stretching reality a bit. BTW--there are more "high energy" type powders coming down the line from Alliant....and I think all are imported. It will be interesting if they make it look like their lab technicians have been hard at work here in America developing the new powder for "our" cartridges.

Okay the results are in. I am shooting a 7/300 short mag built by SSG. The 168 with RL 17 didn,t out perform the RL 22. The groups were not as good nor the velocity. I ended up with 68gr with the bullet seated .005 off the lands. Average fps was 3110 with the group less than a dime at 100 yds. This gun will shoot the 180's but the velocity is only about 2950. Looking at the ballistics the 168 will out perform the 180 all the way out to 1000 yds. Hope this helps. Dan

I tryed R17 in my 270WSM and got pressure signs way early for the velocity and marginal accuracy, I could make it work but if I wanted to shoot at 270 win velocity I would have bought one. I also shot some Magpro and I got way better velocity with no or little pressure signs, the top load I had ran 3420 with 140 SST with low pressure signs. From what I've shot in mine I get the best velocity and accuracy from the Retumbo or H1000 speed of powders.
Not exactly what you looking for but may help.

FWIW-over at Acc Reloading.com a guy pressure tested RE17 in an 06. He could match velocity and pressure of re22 in heavier bullets but coudn't beat them. To me I don't think this powder has much "magic" except that it "may" be able to match some slower burning powders even though it's a medium burner. Then as you guys stated above it didn't quite get there with some of your guns.
The goofy thing about this is when it was introduced over at 6mmbr there were guys doing "amazing" things with re17in some of their cartridges.
To me case capacity is pretty much case capacity and while certain case shapes might make a powder burn ever so slightly different I can't believe in big big differences. Am I thinking wrong here??

FWIW-over at Acc Reloading.com a guy pressure tested RE17 in an 06. He could match velocity and pressure of re22 in heavier bullets but coudn't beat them. To me I don't think this powder has much "magic" except that it "may" be able to match some slower burning powders even though it's a medium burner. Then as you guys stated above it didn't quite get there with some of your guns.
The goofy thing about this is when it was introduced over at 6mmbr there were guys doing "amazing" things with re17in some of their cartridges.
To me case capacity is pretty much case capacity and while certain case shapes might make a powder burn ever so slightly different I can't believe in big big differences. Am I thinking wrong here??

I am by no means an expert on this subject, but I think RL 17 is at it's best in the medium size cases with the medium range bullets, ie, maybe up to 160 in 7mm and 180 in 308. I've seen a lot of different results for 17 posted and I know it gave me incredible velocities for the 180 E-Tip and 210 Berger in a 300 WSM with a long throat and a 24 3/8ths barrel. There may be something about 17 that burns more efficient in a shorter and wider column of powder?

My guess is, that when you start using larger/longer cartridges and heavier bullets and longer barrels, the slower powders will catch up.

I would sure like to see some more conclusive testing and results, but for the time being, RL 17 has my attentiuon.

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.