reloading the 300 RUM

T308

Just picked up a 300 rum sendero, never reloaded this cal. before, any suggestions on types of powders, amouts, I will be reaching out to 1000 yards! im still new to reloading.

The accuracy rifle is H1000

The hunting rifle is IMR7828 with 'relatively' light copper bullets.

A pig was taken at 1065 yards with the hunting rifle.

H-1000 and a 230 Berger with a BC of .743 will make you look good in the wind at 1000. Very bad medicine for deer and elk. They show nice big dust balls off rocks at a mile too.

Jeff

My go to powder has always been Retumbo which is probably the most popular powder for the 300 RUM. I've worked up loads for several bullets with both H1000 and Retumbo and always got a little better velocity with Retumbo. I didn't see any real difference in accuracy which was .5 ish and very little accuracy load development.

That said, I am going to be trying RL33 in my new 300 RUM and comparing it to Retumbo. My bullets of choice are the 230 Berger Hybrid, CEB 180 gr C21's and CEB 200 gr C22's.

I suspect RL33 might be too slow for the 200 and 180 gr bullets but I'm expecting good results with the 230's.

While waiting on my backorder for the new Nosler 210 gr ABLRs (I'm not holding my breath), I worked up a load for my new 300 RUM using RL-33 and 200 grain Accubonds. Yesterday it put 4 into 1.25" at 200 yards. ES for the first three of those shots was 3. The 4th shot slowed down and made the ES 38. The 1.25" was all vertical spread which was kind of weird. I've never seen a load with no horizontal spread. I would have rather had no vertical but it is what it is.

Anyway, this load (99.0 grains) is running 3,140 fps out of a factory Savage 26" stainless barrel. I've got more room in the case and have no pressure signs so I figure I can probably get to 3,250 fps which would put in on top of the list if RL-33 were covered in Nosler's latest handbook. My point in mentioning this is that RL-33 seems to actually be pretty good for 200 grain pills in the RUM not just the 230 grainers. Oddly though it sucks in the 338 RUM as you run out of case volume way before it pressures out.

A NOSLER 168gr E-tip, with a good dose of RL22 did the trick, yesterday one of my rifle clients took it, in my own 300 Rum use a 168 Combined tech which i will change to Nosler e-tip or Barnes tsx tipped with a dose of Retumbo. Have found those rifles super accurate shooters in the same breed as a .308.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.