Reloading the 30-06 Rem. 760 pump

Waynard

I'm thinking about buying a friends Rem. 760- 30-06 pump and if I do I'll be reloading for it. I have a Browning A bolt 30-06 that I load for, could I use the same loads in the Remington. I'm loading Rem cases with CCI B.R.2 primers, 56.5grs. R17 powder and 165gr. Sierra B.T. also same case, primer and bullet with 58grs. IMR 4350. Both these loads shoot real small groups out of my Browning.

I think you could find a good load with those combos but your over all length might be limited in that pump gun

I have been using the 165 gr sierra's for year out of my pump with 65 grs of IMR4350 and have shot one hole groups at 100 yards several times.I went to 57 grs and did not see any change in accuracy and gained very speed so I stayed at 56grs.I use Remington cases with cci 200 primers

I myself wound not invest in a Rem. 760 or the semi auto 742. There are NO available parts to fix it if it breaks anything. If anything wears out or breaks it becomes a wall hanger. If you want a pump then get a Rem 7600. Mid range loads are best in the pump and semi autos.

if the price is right do it!
I have a 70's issue 742 in 3006 and let me tell you that I had a lot of trouble finding a load to function right. By that I mean cycle the action to eject, reload and cock the hammer, unless I use a HOT load it will eject and feed another round but will not cock the hammer. What my 742 demands is 180 grn pills at max load, you should not have that issue with the pump action.
That is probably due to it been an auto loader. With the pump you should not have any trouble as long as you trim, FL size, watch your OAL (keep it to sami specs) and keep your loads close to max.

BTW, for a factory issue auto I do find it fun, fast accurate and comfortable to shoot

My experience with loading for the 742 has been it works best with faster burning powders in the IMR 4895 and IMR 4064 burn rate. I used 48 grs IMR 4895 with 150gr bullets and the 742s shot great and accurate. Be sure and keep that 742 gas system clean and keep that chamber clean. Not taking it down and cleaning the gas system and keeping the chamber clean has killed a many 742. A little rust and they become a jam-o-matic and a wall hanger quickly.

Thanks for the info on the 760 Rem. pump. The one reply mentioned to go with the 7600 Rem. pump, because parts are more available. Are the 760s junk? Do they break often? I have no experience with 760s was just going to buy a friends gun to help him out . gun)

No the 760 is not junk but pretty good rifles for woods guns. They are not target accuracy guns like a bolt action but a good hunting rifle. They were just made quite a few years ago and if a part wears out or breaks you can't fix it because there are NO parts available. Parts are available for the 7600.

I have a 30-06 Rem 760 that my dad bought when I was a sprout. **** near 50 now, He hunted with it most every deer season, some shooting for fun. Gifted to me 25 years ago or so. I avidly shot and loaded for it. I can honestly vouch that 3000 + rounds though this gun and she always runs as I ask. Nikon 3-9 x 40. It's not a target rifle, 1.5 at 100, 3" at 200 yd is regular. For Michigan woods, that's a rare day to see a deer out past that. :cool: Trigger group drops out just like 870 shotgun.

Hogheadv2, your comment speaks very highly of the 760, that is good to know as I'll be hunting in Penn's woods where shots are most likely 100 yards or less. What does your 760 like to shoot ? Do you have a favorite powder,bullet ect.

Factory Remington 150 and 180 are good, point of impact with my rifle is about 1-2 inches high / low... [not recalling what one went higher now]

Use the Lee crip die, 150 gr pointed [Your choice here] over 51.5 Gr of IMR 4895 seems to settle in nicely. ( not picky summer or cold of winter, ) [Also use with my 45-70 so I keep to one non-mag powder]

My best friend bought a carbine 7600, barrel is 2" shorter. That is a handy rifle inside a deer blind, not bumping stuff.

I have also tested H414 with good results. Like any thing, start at the low side but I have found there is no reason to push near the top end, groups open up.

The other bit of wisdom I'll share is from a Krieger Youtube, He didn't see the sense in putting the wear of cleaning your barrel squeaky then having to fire several fouling shots so it will settle down. lightbulb

I have to disagree about the 760 not being accurate.No it is not a 500 yard gun ,but I will put mine up against any bolt at one 100 yards. I have shot one hole groups many times and I have a 243 760 that does almost as good.I bought my 30-06 in 1972 and my 243 around 1980.I have never had anything go wrong with them.If you decided not to but it let me know.

Buy a small base resizing die. Most of the problems others are having is because they are not using a SB die.

I had a 742 that would put 20 consecutive rounds 150gr Speer hot core flat base into 1". How accurate does it have to be?

I've never heard of 760/742's not being durable. They keep showing up on the used gun racks around here.

KB

Thanks again, all good info on the 760. I am on my to owning a Rem. 760 pump! My friend was showing it to me yesterday, it's in real nice shape. I don't think he shot or hunted with it more than a couple of times. It has basket weave checkering on it. Don't think I ever seen one like that. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.