Reloading Techniques

[ QUOTE ]
Have him at least check the bolt lug engagement with a marker. That very well could be the problem, and it would be a shame to bark up other trees if you're working against uneven lugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have him check the lugs. I'm almost 100% sure that they were supposed to be lapped.

[ QUOTE ]
REMINGTON QUALITY=OXYMORON?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried to get him to buy a Savage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

+1 on the Savage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I've learned my lesson... Savages rule.

[ QUOTE ]
Based on some of the things the "gunsmiths" have said...

I would bet they didn't lap the lugs. This happens a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This not necessarily true. My 300 Win Mag Model 70 Laredo has this problem and it shoots half inch 5 shot group. As a matter of fact, it took almost a thousand round before I start noticing the right lug showing some sign of contact. (By the way the bolt is CRF). I haven't done anything on this rifle but adjust the horrible trigger pull.

If the rifle is shooting that well with full power loads that lug is probably close enough to touching that all is well. I've lapped the lugs on at least a half dozen Rem 700's and they were always much improved.

It really would depend on how much clearance was between the lug face and the receiver... plus, I must admit that I don't know all the semantics of the Model 70 CRF. It might just be that a Winchester can whoop a Remmy with "one lug tied behind its back." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dan

well if those toysmiths/robbers wood have done everthing they said they were going to do it would be right. I seen the lugs on the bolt no contact at all, their remark to that was when you lube it with grease it will not mark it.

This makes me glad I've found a gunsmith I can trust!!! Even if he is slow ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and half way across the country.

[ QUOTE ]
well if those toysmiths/robbers wood have done everthing they said they were going to do it would be right. I seen the lugs on the bolt no contact at all, their remark to that was when you lube it with grease it will not mark it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're just yammering about the lube on the lugs. Degrease the lugs, mark them, chamber a fired case, and both should make good contact--100 percent on one, and at least 85 percent on the other...

Are they going to lap the lugs properly now? Or were you going to have someone else 'smith the gun?

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.