Reloading rooms..

G

OK, dont laugh ! Give me your thoughts on the perfect reloading room. The lovely wife that I have just relenquished her...um hobby room to me. about 14X16 bedroom with to do whatever I want. Could it be because I just refinished her new office in the home with Pine wainscoating and all the foof a girl could want.

Anyway, my thoughts is to make it a gun room/reloading room/ Mount room. My safe will be in there as well as will a great lazy boy recliner for those off times from the bench.

I was thinking an "L" shape in the corner for the press and all reloading gear...Shotgun, pistol and rifle loading. MAybe cabinets with a counter top?

Lookin for some ideas and maybe some pics of rooms some of ya might have like this.

I want to make it somewhat appealing to guest etc( if I could ever keep it clean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Being that I'm now somewhat semi retired...Yup at 42 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I want to make it my place!

Joe

Whatever set-up you go with make sure it has surround sound and a 200 lb pad lock on the door. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have seen loading benches w/out having the capacity to slide your legs under and they looked so uncomfortable to me. A heavy duty table that would hug the wall would be hard to beat. Semi-retired at 42..wow. I don't think I'll be able to pull that off in 1 more yr.

[ QUOTE ]
OK, dont laugh ! Give me your thoughts on the perfect reloading room. The lovely wife that I have just relenquished her...um hobby room to me. about 14X16 bedroom with to do whatever I want. Could it be because I just refinished her new office in the home with Pine wainscoating and all the foof a girl could want.

Anyway, my thoughts is to make it a gun room/reloading room/ Mount room. My safe will be in there as well as will a great lazy boy recliner for those off times from the bench.

I was thinking an "L" shape in the corner for the press and all reloading gear...Shotgun, pistol and rifle loading. MAybe cabinets with a counter top?

Lookin for some ideas and maybe some pics of rooms some of ya might have like this.

I want to make it somewhat appealing to guest etc( if I could ever keep it clean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Being that I'm now somewhat semi retired...Yup at 42 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I want to make it my place!

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Put in as much storage as you can!
I have seen some guys make a sound-deadened cabinet specifically for their tumbler, especially if they had more than one - this may make the wife happy depending on where your room is located in the house.
Figure out where you want things, then look to see if you need to run any additional wires for outlets (or rearrange so stuff is close enough to an outlet).
If there is a closet, look around on the internet to get some ideas for how to organize it to maximize storage and ease of finding stuff. Look for other things to help organize your stuff on the counter and in the cabinets as well. If you get it organized now it will be easier to keep reasonably clean/uncluttered later on.
As for the bench, get a chair that is comfortable and then set the highth of the bench so you can work comfortably when you are seated. It may also be good if one part of the bench was elevated such that it would be comfortable to work at while standing - like when cleaning or working on one of your guns.
I know having my progressive shotshell reloader and my rifle press & powder measure stand mounted at the same time leaves me with no space for stuff like gun maintenance or projects, so I think it would be cool to mount a plate of aluminum to one end of the bench and have it drilled/tapped for the presses/accessories so each could be removed and remounted in just a couple of minutes and the other holes could be plugged so stuff doesn't drop down in them.
I guess it wouldn't matter if you had a large enough workspace.

Lab here are a few pics of my reloading room/computer room.
Your room is bigger than mine and thats a good thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I have a L shaped computer desk that also serves as extra storage for some of my reloading stuff but my reloading bench is the cats meow to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I got it through MSC direct it's an Edsal metal frame wood top work bench. You can get different tops but I chose the 1 and 3/4 inch thick maple butchers block top for it's durability, added rigidity, and extra weight for the resizing of my big magnums. [image][/image]
The riser shelf on the back makes for great storage of dies, powder, and components plus it's the right height for your balance beam scale when your sitting down it's eye level. The legs are adjustable on the version I got in case your of the shorter persuasion ( I'm 6' 5" tall ).
[image][/image]
There is an available shelf for underneath for even more storage and I'm going to be getting it soon because I am running out of room for powder storage up top. Other options are a sliding drawer you can see in the pics that can be mounted left or right side and also a backstop that will keep things from getting knocked off into the floor. [image][/image]
The closet in my room doubles as my gun cabinet being that I don't keep any clothes in there. This room is used for all my hunting, shooting, and reloading stuff so it's full most of the time.

7RUMloader - If you installed a cabinet to the left of that window, I would guess that you could get darn near all of the stuff off of your reloading bench, including the 20+ lbs of powder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, then you could just pull out the dies, bullets and powder that you needed for your reloading session.
That thick countertop looks really nice - its purdy!

Yea

I like the top as well...Time to go find a defunct bowling alley to take a lane /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

Thanks guys! I'm working on building a corner storage to the left of the bench. That corner is void space right now due to the computer on the wall next to it. The way I have it set up now I only need one office chair for the computer and reloading just turn around and roll a couple of feet to the bench or computer. Yea you should see the 7500 primers setting under the bench not to mention the 7 or 800 on top that you can see! I told some of my friends that are volunteer firemen if they ever got a call to my house they best just stand at the road and watch the fireworks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.