Reloading Question?

MAELTY

I'm reloading for a 7mm WSM using a Redding bushing die. I've noticed on other dies as well as Redding, the inside neck dimension is .280, when using a button. My loaded shells are at.313 so I used a .312 bushing. When measuring the inside neck it comes out to .281, and when using a .313 it comes out to .282. \

Is it better to use an inside diameter that is bigger? Or how much tension in thousandts shoud you have?

Maelty,
This advice might sound a bit unusual for reloading, but don't worry about what the inside neck diameter measures. Your main concern is to get your case necks to grip your bullets with the correct tension.

You'll know that you're using the correct bushing when you seat your bullets and they "feel" right going in. Keep in mind that there's a wide variation in neck thickness with different brands of brass. The Redding bushing dies give you a huge advantage solving that problem.

You can select the correct bushing by measuring the neck of a loaded round, then deduct .003" - that will give you the dimension that will usually be the best size bushing to use. If your bullets seat too hard .... just use the next larger size bushing. Make sure to clean the inside of your case necks.

- Innovative

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.