reloading presses and accuracy

jmbn

Here's a question. I have an old Eagle press that I bought in the mid-60's that has served me well. I've noticed lately that there is noticable play in the shaft, and wondered if this is having an effect on accuracy of reloads. (none of my rifles shoot quite as well as they used to, and I've always looked at this as a result of old eyes).

When rotating loaded cartriges in V-blocks there is no visual wobble, and it seems to me that since the shell holders are free, within limits, to rock around on their bases, that a little play in the shaft wouldn't matter.

Any comments?

jmbn

If I had to pick a factor in accuracy between aiming and a loading press then it would be aiming.

Go to www.sierrabullets.com and find the notes on squaring up your loading dies. This may not help of course if the ram is not consistant.

I use a RCBS A2 and I have no idea if the ammo loaded on another press would be better or not but I square up the dies that matter.

A smith said he tested all of the popular presses about 15 years ago and Redding had the best alignment in that test.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.