reloading press Lee Classic cast 338am

new shooter

Will the Lee Classic cast press work for the big 338am? If it does what shell holder do I need? Do i need the big 50 BMG Kit? Thanks joe.

I don't think its big enough as it only has a 4" Ramstroke, 408 CT brass is 4.5" long and a 338 - 300gr Sierra Match King is 1.7" long.

Not only will you need a press with a large loading window, you will need a bushing for 1" die, as the sizing die for the 338AM is a 1" die (the seating die is a 7/8" die though).

I use the RCBS Ammomaster 2 (6.75" stroke) and it works fine. BJ Bailey can sell you the bushing, once you decide on the press.

Get the .505 Gibbs shellholder
MidwayUSA - RCBS Shellholder 505 Gibbs

HTH,

AJ

Last edited:
Actually I'm fairly certain that the Classic Cast is capable of reloading 50BMG. Which would make it plenty big enough for the .338AM

Actually I'm fairly certain that the Classic Cast is capable of reloading 50BMG. Which would make it plenty big enough for the .338AM

I looked at Midway and sure enough they sell that press in a .50BMG kit, so I guess it will work. I figured you'd need more than a 4" stroke to easily feed the bullets into the seating die. I tried seating a 338AM on my Rockchucker that has a 4" loading window and it was painful.

Live and learn.

AJ

Just looked and the lee has a 4.25" loading window, not much bigger, but probably enough to make loading a .338AM less than painfull.

Just double checked, and Yes the classic cast can load 50BMG without any add ons, just dies. So you should be just fine with the .338AM.

Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment: Lee Classic Cast Press

Actually, you remove the shellholder insert and use a custom 50BMG shell holder just for that press. This is how they get the length for seating for the 50bmg

Here is a link with the instructions for change over to 50, it has some good pictures. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/90998.pdf

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.