reloading press Lee Classic cast 338am

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by new shooter, Nov 6, 2007.

1. new shooter

new shooter Well-Known Member

Will the Lee Classic cast press work for the big 338am? If it does what shell holder do I need? Do i need the big 50 BMG Kit? Thanks joe.

2. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

I don't think its big enough as it only has a 4" Ramstroke, 408 CT brass is 4.5" long and a 338 - 300gr Sierra Match King is 1.7" long.

Not only will you need a press with a large loading window, you will need a bushing for 1" die, as the sizing die for the 338AM is a 1" die (the seating die is a 7/8" die though).

I use the RCBS Ammomaster 2 (6.75" stroke) and it works fine. BJ Bailey can sell you the bushing, once you decide on the press.

Get the .505 Gibbs shellholder
    MidwayUSA - RCBS Shellholder 505 Gibbs

HTH,

AJ

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007

3. devildoc

devildoc Well-Known Member

Actually I'm fairly certain that the Classic Cast is capable of reloading 50BMG. Which would make it plenty big enough for the .338AM

4. devildoc

5. AJ Peacock

I looked at Midway and sure enough they sell that press in a .50BMG kit, so I guess it will work. I figured you'd need more than a 4" stroke to easily feed the bullets into the seating die. I tried seating a 338AM on my Rockchucker that has a 4" loading window and it was painful.

Live and learn.

AJ

6. devildoc

Just looked and the lee has a 4.25" loading window, not much bigger, but probably enough to make loading a .338AM less than painfull.

7. AJ Peacock

Actually, you remove the shellholder insert and use a custom 50BMG shell holder just for that press. This is how they get the length for seating for the 50bmg

Here is a link with the instructions for change over to 50, it has some good pictures. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/90998.pdf

AJ