reloading preferences?

cfish36

I am just getting started on reloading with a friend and I am trying to figure out what to buy for neck turners, dies, lubricants, cleaning media, etc. we have a rcbs rockchucker press and I was given rcbs dies with my gun but any imput would be great as to what everyone likes the best.

We have used walnut shell media and lyman corncon green media but the lyman leaves a residue that has to be wiped off (kind of a pain)

We have a rcbs neck turner but it doen't seem to be trimming all brass to the same length (off by .008 or so). Maybe this isn't a problem?
I don't know. I am trying to be very meticulous as to get the best consistancy and accuracy.

A local gunsmith told me that lubricants have different affects on accuracy if not cleaned off properly; is this true?

I have just finished loading some 175g sierra gamekings using various amounts of both Reloader 25 and IMR 7828. I hope to go shooting this weekend to see how they do. If I am not happy I might try some 160g accubonds, but we'll see what happens.

I am also trying to find new remmington 7 stw brass. I found several sites on the web that carry them, but nobody has any in stock. Has anyone been able to find some? Please let me know!!

Thanks and hope to learn lots on this great adventure of reloading

I use (hornady ?) "one shot" Lubricant and it seems to work really well. I have also used Lyman spray lube. I use the corncob media and haven't had problem w/ the residue since it doesn't leave any on my cases. Your trimmer suprises me. I have an RCBS trimmer that is good to .001" consistency. I did however have to shim the shell holder on the mount to make everything line up perfectly. When I would put the cutter guide to the case mouth it was not centered, so I corrected the problem with good old electrical tape.

Whatever you do, stay away from the RCBS turning unit that mounts on the trimmer. I have had OK luck with it in 22-250, but it just doesn't work well for my 30-06 or 300 or 325. The thing is cheap and is a *** imho. Go w/ a K & M or a sinclair. It will take longer, but it will do a much better job. I don't turn anything other than my 22-250 and the only reason I do that is to help reduce bullet runout. I shoot all factory rifles w/ standard necks (and I'm not exactly a benchrest shooter either ;) ) Also, if you plan on turning necks, you may have to use a type s resizing die that uses shims to put varying amount of pressure on the neck when resizing.

If you are buying dies, get Forster or Redding IMO. I have purchased the redding comp seater die, and for my ability it isn't worth the extra 70 dollars. It is much nicer to seat bullets with at the same COL from batch to batch, but like I said, I am not a compatition shooter. Redding and Forster seem to be machined much better than RCBS. If you are interested in bumping the shoulder than I'd look hard at the redding comp shell holders. Also Forster makes a shoulder bump and neck sizing die that you can size only part of the neck and still bump the shoulders (allowing the expanded portion of the neck to act as a centering guide for the bullet in your chamber).

What cartidge are you shooting? I prefer the nosler AB's far over the SGK's - just someting about that tip.

good luck, britz

Last edited:
Britz gave you alot of good info.,I will give you a suggestion based on my experiences.Buy good brass,I just bought a box of lapua brass for my 300wm,and it is great!I have used winchester up until now,and there is no comparison.I think good reloading starts with good brass.Don't compromise with the brass,spend the extra money up front,and be done with it.

For my 7 STW I am currently loading 175g sierra gamekings with two different powders: IMR 7828 and Reloder 25. I haven't shot my latest batch so I am not yet sure how much powder works the best. I also have some 160g accubonds and 160g ballistic tips but I have developed a load for those yet. I have a mix of brass Remmington and Federal. I have been told that they use different thickness when making there brass which gives you different pressures shen shooting. I am trying to find some new brass but nobody has any. I am finding a lot of "seasonal sales" on websites, so I guess I will wait until some more are made unless anyone knows of a place to get some.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.