Reloading Newbie

Rem700addict

Hey guys i'm new to this forum and reloading in general, i've been reading the great info here and have been bit by the long range bug. I'm shooting a .243win Remington 700 97' model. I have aquired a reloading press and hornady dies from my uncle who used to reload some. So i'll get striaght to my question, i'm a machinist and have been using my calibers to measure the once fired casings from my rifle the COL is coming in at 2.034 plus or minus a thousanth. Everything else is very close to specs. So I set up my full length sizing die and gradually kept bumping it down not trying to push the shoulder back any. After sizing with the die my neck comes in at .238-.240 ID and .268-.270 OD and the OAL is moved to 2.040. I guess my concern is the neck is that going to be to tight to seat the bullet or does that seem right? I haven't purchased any loading materials yet, i'm just playing with the dies trying to learn to set them up. I'd appreciate any info you guys have as well as any good loads you guys might have for me to try. I think my barrell is the shorter barrell so I was thinking about going with a 95grn bullet, it will be a paper puncher/coyote/deer, i'm just trying to learn a little with this rifle before I start working on my .300wm Rem 700. Thanks guys.

2.040" is fine once you chamfer and beburr the cases they will measure about 2.036" and with a .270" OD neck once you seat a bullet it will be .271-.272" and that's normal. A good load to start with is winchester brass, CCI BR2 primers, 44grns Imr4350, and a 95grn nosler ballistic tip.

2.040" is fine once you chamfer and beburr the cases they will measure about 2.036" and with a .270" OD neck once you seat a bullet it will be .271-.272" and that's normal. A good load to start with is winchester brass, CCI BR2 primers, 44grns Imr4350, and a 95grn nosler ballistic tip.

I appreciate the info, will the 4350 work with my .300wm loads as well. I was trying to get away with using one powder for both loads. Also is chamfering and deburring a must since these have only been shot once? Thanks.

Chamfering and deburring makes it easier to seat the bullets, Yes Imr or H 4350 or 4831 will work good in both rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.