Reloading for an SR-25

KiloTango

I know this gun was designed for the military match ammo, using a 168gr bullet, but what powders are safe to use? I know gas systems can't take the abuse a bolt gun can, and don't want to damage this gun. I have varget, h4350, vv n150 and h335 on hand. I also only have fed gm210m primers, should I be concerned with slam fires?
Thanks,
Ken

I know this gun was designed for the military match ammo, using a 168gr bullet, but what powders are safe to use? I know gas systems can't take the abuse a bolt gun can, and don't want to damage this gun. I have varget, h4350, vv n150 and h335 on hand. I also only have fed gm210m primers, should I be concerned with slam fires?
Thanks,
Ken
I have used R15 and IMR 4064, Kevin Thomas knows the powders maybe he will chime in. Also your wrong on the bullet, its a 175g match round that was preceded by a 173g bullet. I would be concerned about slam fires, especially with the cost of an sr25, go look for some cci #44. Also pleas post a pic, SAM a moderator over on M4carbine is knights armament military sales rem, if your a member search his post.

Thanks for the info, is there factory ammo that is equivalent to the military match stuff? I know some factory loads run hot, and I should probably avoid those.
Thanks again,
Ken

Thanks for the info, is there factory ammo that is equivalent to the military match stuff? I know some factory loads run hot, and I should probably avoid those.
Thanks again,
Ken
There sure are, you could look for federal Gold metal match ammo, black hills, asym, or some surplus LR118 long range ammo. I'm sure others make stuff just as good, or maybe better but these are what I have personal experience with. It in my opinion it's also good to note that your rifle has a 7.62 NATO chamber and not a 308 Winchester. However, the loads I listed for you are used all of the time by lots of guys in 308 gas guns.

So the ammo I'm seeing available with the 175gr are ASYM, Nosler and Lapua with their Scenar-L. Any idea how the last two do in gas systems? The sr-25 I have is from the pre-ban era with the threads for the suppressor in front of the gas block, and has the carbon fiber hand guard.
If the only known quantity is the ASYM, I'll order some of that.
Thanks,
Ken

So the ammo I'm seeing available with the 175gr are ASYM, Nosler and Lapua with their Scenar-L. Any idea how the last two do in gas systems? The sr-25 I have is from the pre-ban era with the threads for the suppressor in front of the gas block, and has the carbon fiber hand guard.
If the only known quantity is the ASYM, I'll order some of that.
Thanks,
Ken

Worth a try both are on my list of things I buy, call them and ask, that's the best advice I have.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.