Reloading for 30-378 wby

jonparbst

I am brand new to reloading and my RCBS kit is on the way, I was wondering if there were any Weatherby guys out there who have loads they like for the 30-378. I have the Accumark rifle it shoots factory stuff great, but Im tired of paying $120+ per box of 20. Any suggestions you guys have are much appreciated from powder to bullets to primers, etc.
Jon

My 30-378 likes 120gr. of 50BMG with a 180gr Hornady SST shoots one ragged hole. But I must warn you what my gun likes yours may not. 120gr is a very hot load. I would recommend a reliable loading manual and start at the low end and work my way up. Good luck! and Welcome to the art of hand loading.

98 gr of H-1000 over a Fed 215 M primer and under a 210 Berger Hunting VLD seated at mag box length which will be about 3.800" Expect 3050 fps, from a 26", 3120 from a 30" great accuracy and great killing potential to way out there.
This is my old tried and true load for the 30-378 load I hunted with for a few years with great success. It is very easy on that expensive and very soft Weatherby brass too.

But today we have the option of the 215 Berger Hybrid which could be substituted for the 210. And also the 230 which you should drop about 6 gr on the charge and work back up watching for pressure.

Good luck,

Jeff

+1 for the Berger 210 VLD and 215M primers. Hope you saved the brass from the factory ammo. Search LRH site for tips on accurate reloading. You may need to try several powders and seating depths to dial it to minimum groups. Mine shoots H50 BMG, US869 and Retumbo equally well. Currently using Retumbo since I have a ton of it. Will test loads with the 215 Hybrid when I find some locally. As rdsewell said, all rifles are different and like different load combinations. Do your research first. Start with lower charges and work up. Be safe and good luck

cwinner, I'm also looking for Retumbo loads. I have Berger manual and want to use 185 VLDs but want more velocity than book lists for max load -- would you care to share what you have learned about top loads for speed?

I have an accumark also. Started at 97 gr and ended up with decent groups at 102.5 gr Retumbo using 190 gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets. Tried Barnes 180 TTSX and did ok at 97.5 gr Retumbo. My gun likes the Bergers a little better. Haven't shot past 200 yet, too many guns, not enough time. Never checked speed, I always start low and stop when I find accurate loads.

cwinner, I'm also looking for Retumbo loads. I have Berger manual and want to use 185 VLDs but want more velocity than book lists for max load -- would you care to share what you have learned about top loads for speed?

One thing to remember is that velocity will be what it is but too much pressure gets expensive! I ruined quite a few cases by stretching the primer pockets using to hot of loads.....I wound up shooting 110gr of RETUMBO with the 180TTSX bullets and was down around 102.5-105 with the 230 OTM's.

Pick you bullet power combination and work up to max load accordingly. RETUMBO gets hot quick and sometimes only a 1% change results in a stiff bolt lift and a ruined $3 piece of brass :)

Not sure how you settled on 110 gr Retumbo, but that is a few percent over max, so you really should work your way up from min to max and check pressure signs. I would look for good groups, not speed.

One more note, 100+ grns of powder heats up the barrel real fast. I try not to exceed 10-12 shots per hour and let it cool every 3-5 shots on 30-378.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.